The Humans

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Tortanick
Creative Contributor

Re: The Humans

#16 Post by Tortanick »

Maybe with a massive cultural shift towards one that favours unity/conformity, but unlike BigJoe5 your Humans behave like Western 20th century people. At least I think thats what your implying by free speech and free markets.

Nighthawk
Space Squid

#17 Post by Nighthawk »

Tortanick wrote:Maybe with a massive cultural shift towards one that favours unity/conformity, but unlike BigJoe5 your Humans behave like Western 20th century people. At least I think thats what your implying by free speech and free markets.

True, but free speech and markets doesn't mean society isn't different. I highly doubt that the human race wouldn't combine to one at that time in the future, and at the least, we would find ourselves in a situation like the UN but bigger.

A republic is really the best fit for the human race, it just feels right! Other specie may have dictatorship and communism and such, but to my prediction, a republic is the best choice, unless a form of government that is better comes around, and neither you nor I can predict it.

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#18 Post by Krikkitone »

Nighthawk wrote:2000 years in the future??

By that time, the human race will probably be one species.
Well I definitely disagree, the human race is one Species now, but 2000 years in the future with genetic engineering, I bet there will be several human species. (although probably the current human species would still be overwhelmingly dominant)

as for one human Government... 2000 years in the future if space travel is actually common, then I wouldn't be surprised if EARTH had one government.... other human colonies would probably have different governments based on how easy it was to move/communicate.

I see nothing about humans that would make them more or less likely to have a unified planetary government than any other intelligent species (as there aren't any other real ones... and the near intelligent species on earth have 'governments' just as divided as us.. indeed very similar to our stone age social arrangements)

I could see humans just as easily having a republic or a "republic" (ie Police State) as one world government in the future OR them having multiple governments per world.

Nighthawk
Space Squid

#19 Post by Nighthawk »

this discussion is pointless, if we were not all one species then the human race wouldn't exist in this game. And if our chance of unity were as low as anyone elses, then neither would they!

Josh
Graphics

#20 Post by Josh »

Exactly. You could have no aliens and just humans too, and then you'd have a game that vaguely resembles SMAC.

Humans are either a very hard species to tackle or a very easy one, and IMHO, it is extremely unwise to make the humans too distant from the average. Whenever there is a choice of species in gaming, humans are almost invariably the most average, versatile, well-rounded race available, and that approach has always worked.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#21 Post by Tortanick »

Nighthawk wrote:this discussion is pointless, if we were not all one species then the human race wouldn't exist in this game.
Not really, a "race" could be an amalgamation of multiple species. They'd have one set of bonuses that covers all the species however the culture & history section would explain how they're really multiple species. For example the Chato'matou'Gormoshk, or Star Control 2's Zot-Fot-Pik.
Josh wrote:Exactly. You could have no aliens and just humans too, and then you'd have a game that vaguely resembles SMAC.
That would be boring, bizarre alien biologies are too much fun to miss out on.
Josh wrote:IMHO, it is extremely unwise to make the humans too distant from the average. Whenever there is a choice of species in gaming, humans are almost invariably the most average, versatile, well-rounded race available, and that approach has always worked.
That's extremely unlikely, no one is average at everything and how on earth would you create a character for a race with no skills or weaknesses? And there is no real reason why people make Humans average other than that they are Us; its never good when authors play favourites in a story, if we can't treat humans like just another race we're better off without them.
If you really want to play Humans and have them average at everything create a custom race. I suspect there will be a custom race generator most 4x games have one and if not its open source, it shouldn't take much programming knowledge to find the advantages and disadvantages and set them all to average