The Nocias

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#16 Post by utilae »

Then it defies physics and evolution in every way that can be justified. :) :wink: :P

I was thinking that the other chemicals (from its body) that are apart of some of these chemical reactions can be the answer to your every question and any disregard of physics or evolution.

+Plus they are 'baloon like' as you say, there skin is quite flexible. Also they have evolved like that (air, sea and land) to explore better, there natural need to be scientists. :)

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#17 Post by Krikkitone »

Here let me see what I can do to salvage this

The Nocias planet Does have a very dense atmosphere consisting of reduced compunds like CO (although a 'Tundra' world it is on the verge of becoming a Gas giant.. given a few million years and if sufficient interplanetary was left in their system)

Their metabolism is based on anaerobic breakdown of organic compunds, releasing CO, CH4, H2, and H2O(H2 and H2O may also be consumed in the process)

They are Very low density due to the storage of large pockets of hydrogen (which their metabolism is regulated to maintain) the hydrogen serves the two purposes of buoancy and propulsive force.

Their body chemistry is capable of substantial alterations such that they are nearly transparent to most wavelengths near the visible spectrum. Combined with their near total lack of structure (other than the central hydrogen pocket) by adjusting their size and thickness they can acheive invisibility to even sentients that aren't thinking to look for them.

The lack of interal compartmentalization or organization however is only on a macroscopic scale, on a microscopic scale, they are highly structured, and it is the interaction between those uniform structures that is believed to allow their thought and movement.

[Because their metabolism is anaerobic, they must consume very energetic forms of food, which are still bulky and difficult to support outside of the deep ocean]

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#18 Post by utilae »

Sounds good. Although what types of high energy foods would they eat.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#19 Post by Impaler »

How about fatty slug like creatures living in the Oceans?

Nice Job Krikk, you should do more race work as I can see your good with the Hard Science descriptios.

Lets further discuse the Culture of these floating Jelly bags and what kind of focus they have in play.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#20 Post by Krikkitone »

Thanks (comes from being a biochem major)

Anyways a science/spying concept seems good.

Indeed that might come from their high energy requirements, they had to breed those slugs/whatever crops to have high "fat" content and that gives a major advantage to powers (army marching on its stomach).. technology and knowledge would be highly decisive things for them... possibly a Semi-secret society bureaucratic type meritocracy/ technocracy, success means accumulating knowledge, and sucessfully claiming the benefits of such.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#21 Post by utilae »

Here's a pic of the Nocias that I created (based on the description):