The Ikasynbe

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Nightfish
FreeOrion Designer / Space Monster

The Ikasynbe

#1 Post by Nightfish »

Ikasynbe-plant/animal hybrids (by Utilae)
======
Essentailly:
------------
A race of humanoid plants, ie creatures that lived so closely with plants, that they and plants became symbiotic, so plants grow on them and are apart of them, some of their organs are plant based.

Ikasynbe Description:
------------------------
The Ikasynbe are creatures with two legs, two arms and a head. On their back they have a seed that blossoms into a flower over their lifetime. The seed has tendrils that extend into the legs, arms and head. The Ikasynbe has yellow eyes that pierce through a face covered in grass. Their arms and legs have many short roots hanging off, which can be put into the ground, where they hibernate to gain mineral energy from the ground, while the seed on their back collects energy from the sun. On various parts of their body they have blue orbs (that appear to be full of water) sunken into their skin. They feed on the water in these orbs and they can tell when they are low, at which time they rest in water, using their roots to collect water. On the ends of their arms and legs they have strong claws, which help them climb trees. They are very agile and quite flexible.

Society:
--------
They build their holmes (huts made of plants, etc) against trees. The trees on their planet are huge, massive. Their society is one where the more important/richer build their holmes higher up in the trees. So the the less important/poorer live at the base of trees, middle class live in the middle and richer and more important live near the top.

Homeworld:
-------------
90% of life on their world is made up of plants. Their homeworld is called Nasuiue. It is an environment covered in forests, made up of the tallest trees anywhere. Their are oceans on this world, only these oceans are not visibile from space, because forests cover the oceans. Their are few mountainous areas, only myst, trees and swamp. The planet varies from rainforrests to the wettest swamps, with very few open areas. Most animals on the planet also have a symbiotic relationship with plants, with plants growing on them, etc.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#2 Post by Impaler »

They sound a bit too much like "Plant people" too me, I keep seeing Swamp-Thing when I read this :shock:

The fundamental problem is that a man like creature requires greater energy then man sized creatures surface area engaged in Photosynthisis can produce. Their needs to be some explination that fenagles you out of that energy barrier. Perhaps they have a Dormant stage ware they "root" for a long enough time to recover lost energy. Conversly they could have a vastly reduced energy enpenditure or they are capable of consuming other organisms for energy (even if its other plants)

Also I am currious is this the naturaly evolved state of the creature or did they get "infested" with plants at some point like that Race NightFish posted on the Old boards.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by utilae »

Impaler wrote: The fundamental problem is that a man like creature requires greater energy then man sized creatures surface area engaged in Photosynthisis can produce. Their needs to be some explination that fenagles you out of that energy barrier. Perhaps they have a Dormant stage ware they "root" for a long enough time to recover lost energy. Conversly they could have a vastly reduced energy enpenditure or they are capable of consuming other organisms for energy (even if its other plants)
Um, Impaler I already covered that (at lest I think :roll: ).

"Their arms and legs have many short roots hanging off, which can be put into the ground, where they hibernate to gain mineral energy from the ground, while the seed on their back collects energy from the sun. On various parts of their body they have blue orbs (that appear to be full of water) sunken into their skin. They feed on the water in these orbs and they can tell when they are low, at which time they rest in water, using their roots to collect water."
Impaler wrote: Also I am currious is this the naturaly evolved state of the creature or did they get "infested" with plants at some point like that Race NightFish posted on the Old boards.
Natural I guess, ?

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by Krikkitone »

Looks like Lithovore for picks (no need for food)

Swamp HW.

Ground Combat
Either very good (because they would essentially be a plant with defense agains Herbivores)
Or very bad, because of hibernations (although they could have discovered technological ways around this)

Excellent farming (assuming food has some uses other than keeping people alive like as a mineral substitute)

I'm guessing they spend most of their time in hibernation, daytime at the tops of the trees, nightime at the soil.

Poor Industry/Mining, probable (due to their lack of time to work... Research wouldn't be as bad because they can probably still think while 'hibernating')

Low growth Rate (putting them more on the 'Tree' side of things)

Environmental bonus

Motivation for space travel... Not much.. simple long sightedness I guess, knowing what other races might do.

Good diplomacy (tendency toward trustworthiness, give the appearance of being very unambitious, nonthreatening, but still powerful)

Poor Spying (similar to above, they are a 'slow' race in more ways than one)

Bonus to Theoretical Techs, Refinement Tech, penalty to Application Techs? (ie Uncreative)