The Trith

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

Re: The Trith

#106 Post by Bigjoe5 »

While the Trith can learn to keep their own thoughts to themselves, they are unable to tune out the thoughts of others.
Since they can dampen their own neural fields as soon as they are generated, there is no opportunity for a massive build-up resulting in an electromagnetic "sonic boom", thus, starlane travel doesn't increase the difficulty of masking their own thoughts. If a group of rogue Trith decided not to mask their thoughts while in a starlane however, the effects could be devastating to the Trith population...
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#107 Post by MikkoM »

mZhura wrote:
MikkoM wrote:Thus we can probably assume that there isn`t a quick fix available for this problem.
or they just don't want to look for it? civilization that developed interstellar travel couldn't protect itself from simple and weak electro-magnetic field?
Well, I am not saying that being a bit stupid is forbidden from advanced civilizations, but it certainly doesn’t help when your objective is to kill every thinking creature living in the galaxy. To achieve their goal the Trith will probably have to risk the lives of every member of their species, and use considerable amounts of resources to build warships and to research military technology. And if they are prepared to do all of this, even though there could be a quick fix available to their problem, they are in my opinion, either a bit stupid or just crazy.

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#108 Post by Krikkitone »

MikkoM wrote:
mZhura wrote:
MikkoM wrote:Thus we can probably assume that there isn`t a quick fix available for this problem.
or they just don't want to look for it? civilization that developed interstellar travel couldn't protect itself from simple and weak electro-magnetic field?
Well, I am not saying that being a bit stupid is forbidden from advanced civilizations, but it certainly doesn’t help when your objective is to kill every thinking creature living in the galaxy. To achieve their goal the Trith will probably have to risk the lives of every member of their species, and use considerable amounts of resources to build warships and to research military technology. And if they are prepared to do all of this, even though there could be a quick fix available to their problem, they are in my opinion, either a bit stupid or just crazy.
The above is based on the idea that telepathy is based on electromagnetic fields... This totally precludes telepathy from being involved with species that Don't use electrical or magnetic means of processing information, and also raises issues as above.

If there is "telepathy" in the game, more than likely there would be several types. The Trith would have a very unusual type (probably similar in some ways to George's) in that it travels interstellar distances at apparently FTL speeds. This implies that there is some physics at work that is not explainable by 21st century earth science (as there is in the fundamental travel mechanism in the game)

mZhura
Space Kraken

#109 Post by mZhura »

Krikkitone wrote:If there is "telepathy" in the game, more than likely there would be several types.
yes, but the Trith may be influenced by just one type - that which corresponds with their own type
Krikkitone wrote:This implies that there is some physics at work that is not explainable by 21st century earth science (as there is in the fundamental travel mechanism in the game)
yes it can. that mechanism involved space-time continuum bending through extra dimensions. read this article for example: http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/Sci ... ns-en.html

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#110 Post by Krikkitone »

mZhura wrote:
Krikkitone wrote:If there is "telepathy" in the game, more than likely there would be several types.
yes, but the Trith may be influenced by just one type - that which corresponds with their own type
Krikkitone wrote:This implies that there is some physics at work that is not explainable by 21st century earth science (as there is in the fundamental travel mechanism in the game)
yes it can. that mechanism involved space-time continuum bending through extra dimensions. read this article for example: http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/Sci ... ns-en.html
And currently there is no way of explaining how the human (or any other species) brain would do that. That is more of what I meant.

And there is no reason why a 'telepathy' would require both sender and receiver to have 'brains' that work in similar ways. There would just have to be some effect of one that the other could pick up (indeed there's no reason a species couldn't be capable of telepathically receiving from/sending to other species 'brains', but not to their Own species.)

mZhura
Space Kraken

#111 Post by mZhura »

so you prefer to describe telepathy as some "mystery beyond understanding". but still we have "psi corps" in our research :lol:

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#112 Post by Krikkitone »

mZhura wrote:so you prefer to describe telepathy as some "mystery beyond understanding". but still we have "psi corps" in our research :lol:
everything in our research is a "mystery beyond understanding"... because that allows us to make up whatever rules/technobabble we want with it.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#113 Post by pd »

Some fighter/bomber concepts

Josh
Graphics

#114 Post by Josh »

The upper left and lower right ones seem to be most trith like, but for some reason they are brighter and shinier than before, and lack the signature energy cores. Have you discarded the dull, bluish matte quality they used to have?

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#115 Post by pd »

Those are really tiny compared to even a small hull, so no energy core. I imagine those tiny crafts as drones and maybe even controlled by telekinesis by the carrier ship's core(s).

The bottom right one is my favourite, especially considered as a fighter. The first one could perhaps be a bomber then.
Have you discarded the dull, bluish matte quality they used to have?
Not intentionally, maybe it's the white background? :)

Josh
Graphics

#116 Post by Josh »

Haha, maybe.

Obviously the very small fighters are built differently from starships, but the way I've come to understand trith architecture in general is that they like decorative glyphs (or maybe they are not decorative at all?), darker colors, and pointy structures. (and exposed energy cores of course)

I respect the desire not to use energy cores in this case though, but if you did want to experiment a bit, you could add more glyphs or pointy structures.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#117 Post by pd »

Portrait, could actually be used in-game, when selecting the player/enemy races

OndrejR
Space Dragon

#118 Post by OndrejR »

magnificent

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#119 Post by pd »

Haha, thanks OndrejR!

weaz
Krill Swarm

#120 Post by weaz »

marvelous.
I would keep the ships ... all of them
Also for the trith screen picture I would suggest that the background of this image be refined, but the actual trith be kept in a brush style, this way gives more stylish aspect (although needs a bit more work around the eyes), I for one look for such things in a game. And if this line of things goes, perhaps all races main screen can be drawn this way because there is too much 3D in games these days and no art.