Eleazar's personal evalutation of Species ideas

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Josh
Graphics

Re: Eleazar's personal evalutation of Species ideas

#16 Post by Josh »

*Bump*

I just want to say that I have always found this thread to be very helpful. It's the first place I came to find a solid species to start work on for concept art, and these short summaries have saved me more than just a little bit of slogging through some very crowded threads.

Thanks Eleazar.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#17 Post by eleazar »

your welcome :)

eleazar

#18 Post by eleazar »

added several to the list. list is still not complete, but it is relatively close.

Please feel free to add a note in this thread if one of the species on this list has been significantly changed since it was added to the list. The list isn't updated frequently, but it is something i've had a continuing interest in for several years now. I may want to alter the info, or move it up the "rankings".

weaz
Krill Swarm

#19 Post by weaz »

I suggest picking a limited number (12-15) so there is a candidate pool and then pick up 8 of those. I believe 8 different species to develop is the perfect number to have at the splat screen.
I will go ahead and make a list of some I would like to see in the candidate pool (most will probably make it)

1. Human (what a surprise)
2. The Chato'matou'Gormoshk
3. Gyisache
4. Eaxaw
5. The Trith
6. The Silexians (but I just don't like the name and perhaps are a creation of another specie present in the game - humans, trith, george)
7. George
8. The Multaaran Empire
9. Scylior

The main reason I picked more non-hominid species is because ... the universe does not revolve around man.

eleazar

#20 Post by eleazar »

Not a bad plan, but it is premature. We aren't offically working on species yet, and haven't laid the basic groundwork such as figuring out exactly which species pics and features Free Orion will support. Only once the framework for making species work is sufficiently finalized will it be time to select our first batch of species. If we make a list now, some of the species might end up being impossible, or the preselected species might not have room for some of our best species features.

Untill then it makes sense to leave things open for improvement and addition.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#21 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Due to the number of EPs, it is desirable to have the number of species be a multiple of 9 for balancing purposes. 18 would be ideal, IMO.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

weaz
Krill Swarm

#22 Post by weaz »

Can we at least make this thread sticky? Change it's name if it is not a good one but I believe it gives greater access to all the species created by now. This way the only concern will be to keep updating this first post.

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#23 Post by MikkoM »

Have you thought about adding the environments in which each of the evaluated species lives to their data? This might give the reader some sort of an idea of how many species there are currently in each of the environments. Or do you think that environments aren`t very important currently, as they can be edited later if necessary? (And yes I realize that the list is not complete, so it cannot currently give an absolutely accurate data about the environments. However some data would probably be better than no data.)

eleazar

#24 Post by eleazar »

MikkoM wrote:Or do you think that environments aren`t very important currently, as they can be edited later if necessary?
Yep.

Also IMHO for most of the species concepts the EP isn't usually integrated piece of information. It doesn't matter very much and could be switched without changing the species identity.

Also #2, Many of the species have a planet description that doesn't really match up with the 9 EPs currently in the game.

#3, i really don't like several of the 9 EPs that were chosen, and am not eager to do anything to formalize them further.