Species: Rumboid - lazy, schizo robots who watch too much TV

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

Species: Rumboid - lazy, schizo robots who watch too much TV

#1 Post by Jaumito »

Description (you may want to open the image in a new tab to read it properly):
rumboid.png
rumboid.png (160.66 KiB) Viewed 6699 times
Notes:
  • Structural decay will not kill a ship on its own. Although if you leave a ship out of supply for too long, its structure can reach a meekly 0.01.
  • Solipsistic individualism gives a small shield bonus to every Rumboid ship, even if no shield part is present on the design. The bonus starts at 3 for single ships, becomes 1.83 with 2 ships, 1.31 with 3 ships, etc. down to 0.03 with 15 ships, and nil with more.
If you want to try this species, then:

(all directories are relative to the 'default' directory in your FO folder)

Add these lines to ~/stringtables/en.txt

Code: Select all

POOR_MAINTENANCE_RATIO
'''50'''

HOMESICK_LOSS
'''10'''

POOR_MAINTENANCE_DESC
−	Poor maintenance: ships lose 1/[[POOR_MAINTENANCE_RATIO]]th of their current structure per turn, unless they're resting at a friendly drydock.

HOMESICK_DESC
−−	Homesickness: ships staying in out-of-supply systems lose 1/[[HOMESICK_LOSS]]th of their current structure per turn, as well as some weapon power.

SHIELD_OF_FAITH_DESC
+	Solipsistic individualism: ships get a shield bonus when in small numbers, from 3 for a lone ship, down to zero for groups larger than a dozen.

# Species: Rumboid
SP_RUMBOID
Rumboid

SP_RUMBOID_GAMEPLAY_DESC
'''Schizophrenic robots who're not aware they're living in a virtual reality of their own making.
Prefer [[PT_TERRAN]] planets.
[[encyclopedia ROBOTIC_SPECIES_TITLE]]
'''

SP_RUMBOID_DESC
'''Description:
Rumboids were once domestic robots, built to serve the whims of an ancient species (Rumboids refer to them as "the Precursors") that has since vanished and faded out of the universe's memory. Left to their own devices, these robots slowly built a society of their own, based on the cultural remains of their old masters. Quite strangely, it seems that these artifacts were mostly of a culinary nature, which the robots nevertheless managed to succesfully feed on. However, from "videogums" to "blackbester muffins" made in some sort of sacred grove, nothing is left of these artifacts today and their true nature will likely remain a mystery. Still, their intoxicating influence was strong enough to shape Rumboid culture for millenia.

Rumboids named themselves after the mythical Precursor, Jun Rumbo.

Social Structure:
Rumboids are very attached to their homeland, but this doesn't necessarily extend to their own kin. All of them are brooding individualists who communicate only with catchy, sarcastic, or pythic one-liners. They fight a perpetual war against a nondescript entity (referred to as 'the Mob', 'the System', 'the Boss', among other cryptic names), which is still unequivocally evil. Only, they don't fight this enemy as a species, a nation, or a group of any kind: they fight it as individuals. Because according to their culture, what can be achieved by many is best achieved by a few, or even better, by a single, heroic Rumboid. Their belief that nothing can stand before a determined individual makes them, puzzlingly, both oblivious and impervious to inescapable threats and damage (at least, sometimes.)

Rumboids are also known to lack subtlety, to shun sophistication, and to mock intellectualism. They prefer to solve problems with a brute-force approach. Notably, their mechanics tend to resort to punches and kicks to fix failing equipment.
'''

BLD_COL_RUMBOID
Rumboid Colony

BLD_COL_RUMBOID_DESC
[[BLD_COL_PART_1]] [[species SP_RUMBOID]] colony. [[BLD_COL_PART_2]] Rumboid colony [[BLD_COL_PART_3]].

Add these lines to ~/scripting/starting_unlocks/items.if

Item type = Building name = "BLD_COL_RUMBOID"
Add these lines to ~/scripting/building/colonies/col_bld_gen.py (somewhere in species_list)

("SP_RUMBOID", "icons/species/robotic-08.png"),
Put this file in ~/scripting/building/colonies/
SP_RUMBOID.focs.txt
(4.01 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
And this one in ~/scripting/species/
SP_RUMBOID.focs.txt
(2.63 KiB) Downloaded 266 times

EricF
Space Dragon

Re: Species: Rumboid - lazy, schizo robots who watch too much TV

#2 Post by EricF »

Dex: You are such a self-aggrandizing, solipsistic ego queen, you don't even know.

Syd: Did you just say solipsistic?

Dex: I most certainly did.

Syd: I love that word.
:lol:

Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

#3 Post by Jaumito »

Apparently, there's a missing [[AVERAGE_DEFENSE_TROOPS]] in the species description. I didn't realize it until I needed to build troopships on a non-HW planet while I hadn't researched any +troops tech yet.

Also, a few downloads but no feedback so far. Do you think structural decay and homesickness are OK as they are, or too crippling, or not enough?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

I myself haven't downloaded it yet, but will do it and test the species once I get some free time.