Story Board Brainstorming Sink

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
skdiw
Creative Contributor

#31 Post by skdiw »

We really need a list of parameter that are sure fire in the game before we waste a lot of time coming up good ideas but never made it. For example, the jury is still out on where we have gravity in the game or not. The only the I know for sure are food, mineral, research, and econ so races building off passed parameter is guranteed to have a chance.

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

#32 Post by Moriarty »

That sounds distinctly like a very funny star-trek character..
U even use the same letter to name it. :)

skdiw
Creative Contributor

#33 Post by skdiw »

Star Trek's Q pretty much inspired it. It would be extra work to program him, but I think Q will be very fun to play and very complex too. What? Moo 2.5 not 3? Damn you Q!!! Anyway, it will be interesting how players play and against him.

I was think doing a borg race, but I'm sure someone got an variant or something on the line coming up. I got another one, this time more orginal coming up.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#34 Post by utilae »

That IS Q, and they as a race would be too powerful, controling time like that. :roll:

skdiw
Creative Contributor

#35 Post by skdiw »

It depend on how the game mechanic work really. read the other post under "post your races here" on my suggestion for gameplay.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#36 Post by Zanzibar »

I think this is copyright infringement... you should try to post something more original!!

skdiw
Creative Contributor

#37 Post by skdiw »

Good point, but names aren't important. We might even have to delete this site and call FreeOrion somehting else when we are close to the end. As for Q, we can always change to G, for god or something, or "Origin" or something. Q isn't really discuss in depth in the show so most of it is made up.

My other race is online at the "post your race here" thread, instead of double post, just post your rants here.
:mrgreen:

Moriarty
Dyson Forest

#38 Post by Moriarty »

LOl.... u're not trying to say star-trek has copyrighted the letter Q....

hehehe :)

But if these beings are omnipotent, then they should be a non-game race... they could make an appearance, and probably be called the orions (follow on from the story, and assume the orions have transcended to omnipotence).

skdiw
Creative Contributor

#39 Post by skdiw »

I think that is what zanzibar was saying... ridiculus I know. Everything we say has been said and written somewhere. You can't copyright something trivial like, "Dog ran."

Anyway, this post is for ideas about the race. The story, name, race attribute, everything will have to be reworked a little before we can use it.
Last edited by skdiw on Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#40 Post by utilae »

If you can't think of your own things, why bother thinking at all. :shock:

Originality is good, a lesson you should learn.

skdiw
Creative Contributor

#41 Post by skdiw »

Like things you came up are wholly orginal. Read my comment on the other thread. I'm pretty sure that I am smarter and more original than you untilae. (I have patent in the industry that I work. In case if you don't know what that means, the patent office don't issue you a patent if you copied)

"originality is good." lol, who told you that? or is that original? I think it was the former.

Again, read the other thread.

Moriarty
Dyson Forest

#42 Post by Moriarty »

skdiw: Patents mean little. Someone patented the Wheel somewhere if i remember correctly. :)
I can point u to a dozen stories of patents being issued where there there is "prior-art", all of them relating to the internet (seeing as most of my news reading relates to it).

And originality is good... Science couldn't progress without it.

Incidentally, I'm laying copyright to the letter 'E'. Co-incidentally it's the most common letter in the english language... I won't be greedy and copyright any other letters..
That means there are only 24 left... anyone else?

lmao....

8)

skdiw
Creative Contributor

#43 Post by skdiw »

...Great... we got another kid in our forums.

By the way, didn't your teacher tell you that there is 26 letter in the alphabet. Or is it that you can't add or subtract?

Keep humoring me some more, kiddo.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#44 Post by Tyreth »

skidw, Nightfish commented on your inappropriate words to utilae in the other thread, but I'll put it here too:
Watch what you are saying. Do not insult anyone or make unfounded accusations, based on either place of birth or interpretations of posts. Please refrain from all slander, it is an action we will ban someone for.

Regarding originality: Don't copy race names. As for the theme of the race, sometimes replication of the old is good - races like elves, gnomes, dwarves, etc, are duplicated everywhere. If in doubt, ask myself, Nightfish or Aquitaine, and we will advise you if the race is inappropriate. I believe races are a reflection of the diversity of human nature, and one flavor of the human diversity is manifested in the form of a race. Therefore, every race we create will be a reflection of humanity in some regard, whether the good or bad. (edit: the reason I wrote this was to show that I believe there is no originality in the creation of races, ultimately all our ideas are drawn from our interpretation of one (or more) aspect(s) of human nature).

All races will be selected by a yet to be created setting group, who will be responsible for developing the story, races, and campaign. They will work in secret in part, and public in part, to preserve some surprises for the 1.0 release. If anyone is unsure about whether their race is acceptible, then please ask. We avoid replication primarily for copyright reasons, but also because unoriginality can sometimes be stagnant.

Everyone who is interested on conduct, please read this thread:
http://www.artclusta.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=65

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#45 Post by Tyreth »

Oh, one other thing - races will share the same tech tree like MOO1-3, SMAC, and other games. If you want separate tree's for different races, then that will have to be the subject of a mod, it is beyond our plans for the official campaign and release. We may accept a few unique racial techs, but if we do they would be very few in number (maybe one or two per race). However, it is more likely we will not have any.