Story Board Brainstorming Sink

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

My Idea for a race....

#16 Post by Extremepumpkin »

Intro:
The Tjari, are money centric. If it has nothing to do with money, then it’s not worth their time. They expand their empire to find new goods and services to sell to the other (and unsuspecting) races in the galaxy/universe. They are quite adept at making products fast, but of an inferior quality.

Homeplanet:
They originally lived on an earthlike planet in the Tjar sytem, but once found profitable they completely relocated to a nearby asteroid field to accommodate other space faring races in their fuel and mineral needs. After establishing themselves on the asteroid field they broke down their entire home planet into its basic materials for selling. Their new homeworld serves no more importance to them then any other venture.

Society:
The Tjari have no sense of “home” they always search for the best place to make money and go there (bordering on nomadic). They have no concept of non-monetary value and as such no place or thing is worth more then what it can be sold for.
The Tjari have no centralized Government, they will only work for a government if its in their best (monetary) interests. Only those who see the money in communicating with other races take up the rolls of diplomat/leader.

Looks:
The Tjari are rather bland in appearance. They have Smooth red skin with no distinguishing features other then 4 arms, two legs and a head. Many Tjari do not have 4 arms and two legs as the have sold some of their limbs for the money they provide. As such, many Tjari are stuck in mind controlled hover chairs. There is little difference in size between male and female Tjari. How Tjari reproduce is a mystery to other races as it is a highly regarded “Trade Secret”.

History:
The Tjari have a relitivly peaceful past as a lack of any major government resulted in a lack of any major wars. The Tjari worshiped the Orions and their monopoly on the galaxy/universe. When the news came that the Orions had vanished they decided to start their own interstellar profitable ventures by relocating to the asteroid field on the outer reaches of their star system to sell goods to other races reaching for the stars.

Pros/Cons:

Pro
--Bonus from Trade agreements
--Good Diplomacy with many races
--Good Production
--Decent Spying

Cons
--Ships have diminished hit points (due to low quality)
--Very poor research
--Debt causes massive unrest/revolt
--Lack of centralized society causes things to generally cost more then it would for other races.
--Other races generally do not trust Tjari products. Anything with the “Made in Tjar” phrase immediately provokes the notion that it is a cheap and low quality product. As such, it is harder to set up agreements with other races, however, once one is set up they will utilize it to a great extent.
Only after 14 hours of work, will you realize you can do it in 2.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#17 Post by Impaler »

Sounds good so far, needs a few more details to flesh them out.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#18 Post by Extremepumpkin »

Okay, I just didnt want to pour hours into it if no one thought they were good. I'll have a revised one tomorrow, (have to work in about.. 20 minutes :P) I'll also have a few sketches too (B&W)

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#19 Post by Impaler »

Cool, Oh by the way try to keep the physical shape realy Bizare and un-human. Like if they had Radial syemetry or they lack heads and eyes. Maybe they live upside down in caves or have geneticaly altered themselves for incressed profitability!

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#20 Post by Impaler »

Ok starting some Brainstorming on a High G race, the gravity is so high that these creatures are flattened 6 pointed StarFish like creatures. They comunicate by touch and low frequency Vibrations they send through the ground. They also have some eyes on the tips of their arms and they eproduce by dividing into 6 pices that each grow into a new individual. Their culture is non agressive and their overall a friendly race. Just need some ideas for culture to start fleshing them out and giving them some nice advantages and disadvantages.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#21 Post by utilae »

Impaler, that sounds cool. :wink:

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

#22 Post by Moriarty »

High G as in how high G?
Anything that's from a gas giant is high-g (100+ G's maybe).
Brown Dwarfs: Several hundred more G's
Neutron Star's: More Gravities than most people have sense... ;)
(it is theoretically possible for their to be life forms in all of the above)

Whereas High-G for a solid-surface could reach up to quite a bit more than Earth.

Just occured to me: How do you propose they get into orbit?
It takes huge rockets just for use to get into orbit, and we have a paltry 1 G (u have to reach 17,000 Mph to get to 'escape velocity' for 1 G)!!!

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#23 Post by Extremepumpkin »

You know what i said about making a revision today... well I had to stay late at work and its now 10:30pm and i can barely type, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow >.<

Oh, and if you need hosting for a compiled version of the CVS (for the not so technically savvy majority) I've got space, I'm also a good publicist if you need that ;). I'm semi okay at graphics work, depends on the situation and complexity of the Graphics needed. I've got PS7 and Maya 5 (mm Mooching from work)

did a *really* rough sketch+color job while on the phone.

Click Here
also, Reworked some parts (it was a long phone call) and I'll have them up tomorrow.

I just realized, he's got two left hands :P oh, and the line art blows (didnt bother inking) but the general idea is there, in a cruddy quality (the picture must have been "made in Tjar" )

Edit: Additional Info
edit2: Blarg. Stuff about the picture (why its so gawd awful)
Edit3: finished the new version and its in the "post you're race here" thread

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#24 Post by utilae »

Cool pic, are they cybernetic?

I may draw some pics of my races. :wink:

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#25 Post by Extremepumpkin »

Partially, they sell their limbs and replace them with cheaper mechanical ones. (explained in the final descriptiony thing in the Post your race here thread)

I've got a few 3d renders in the work, but no point in finishing them if the Race isn't going to be used.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#26 Post by utilae »

I remember you saying that. :) Hey can they fit weapons on to there arms?

We don't know what races would be used, though images always help to persuade people to like your idea. :wink:

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#27 Post by Extremepumpkin »

*caves in* heres a little bryce render i did of a Tjari colony. Nothing really fancy.. kinda looks cool though.
Click here to see it

anywho. I MIGHT put a sneak peak of the Maya 5 renders up later.. (if your good)

[/url]

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#28 Post by utilae »

Cool. :wink:

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#29 Post by utilae »

I am thinking of posting a race of jellyfish stingrays, that are scientists and spies, so they can study other races. They have no organs, with multiple microscopic organ like cells doing the job organs would through a means of chemical reaction. They also can think at the speed of a computer, plus they float in the air. :wink:

skdiw
Creative Contributor

#30 Post by skdiw »

Introduction
Q, the anti space and time. Originally thought of and worshipped as mythical gods. Due to fear of strange unexplainable phenomenons, civilization, both advanced and young, pay tribute to this fifth dimensional force. In truth, Q created the universe as a galactic prank, a form of entertainment for his amusement as he sometimes bring fortune and in another send space monster to gobble whole systems.

Homeworld
The whole galaxy map.

A reason for leaving the home planet
Q loses the game, FO, and "leaves" is when one of the race advance into transcedence and realize the true nature and becomes fifth dimesional being.

Q play the game by screwing all the players as much as possible, essentially turning other players back in time, while all the races struggle to survive to achieve victory for themselves.

Physical description
Since no being ever seen Q and no being can understand what doesn't even exist, at least to their lesser minds, Q is known to them as what you see: the planet, the star system, the universe itself.

Social Structure
Q is both the father and the child. It is the elder that seen everything yet it is also the chicken who first lay the egg... or is it the egg who, nevermind, it's Q!

History
Little if any is known about Q. Some say he is almightly and gracious being the father of life, while other say he doesn't exist and if he does, an asshole.

Race Attributes
hmm... the hard part, getting Q as a playable race. Q likes to wait and watch most of the time, but it is near the end of the movie so he decides to have some interactions.

He can start at turn 100 and plays every 10 turns thereafter. Each one of Q's turn, he can do a number of things ranging form producing negative money and production points so ships gets dismantle becuase player can pay the maintainence; Q can reverse research and turn that stellar converting dreadnaught into phasor frigates; he can null somebody's turn; make ship travel backwards... the list can go on as we brainstrom more.

Any of the race creation 'pros' have any other suggestions/tips on how to go about creating a race?
What's interesting is when you have two Qs in a multiplayer. Or when player give tribute to Q in hopes of fortune or screw someone over.

One big problem as I have it, is that it's boring to wait for 100 turns and then every 10 turns, so maybe make his influence smaller and able to do mischievous deeds every turn. Alternatively, he could accumulate entertainment points (extra points if he recive tribute or give players positive effects) in which he can scheme what combination of deed given what other players are doing so he can successful turn time onto itself.