Biological Warfare

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Kharagh
Pupating Mass

#16 Post by Kharagh »

Who cares?
Angelina Jolie would have done, too.

And she looks better :-)

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#17 Post by Daveybaby »

Oh well, there goes the original purpose of the thread.

Havent you seen the 5th element?
Milla Jovovitch > Angelina Jolie
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#18 Post by utilae »

Daveybaby wrote:Wasnt it milla jovovovovovovovovitch?
in resident evil, yes

Kharagh
Pupating Mass

#19 Post by Kharagh »

Let's just make a selection window then:

Who do you want to deploy?

1. Angelina Jolie
2. Milla Jovovitch

Add some nice pictures and everyone will try desperately to get his own people slaughtered, just see those pics :D

Pasi
Space Squid

#20 Post by Pasi »

Kharagh wrote:Let's just make a selection window then:

Who do you want to deploy?

1. Angelina Jolie
2. Milla Jovovitch

Add some nice pictures and everyone will try desperately to get his own people slaughtered, just see those pics :D
I'm so sorry... I didn't mean to wreck the thread :oops: :shock:

And it was Milla, I remembered wrong ... Maybe a select dialog will do the trick ... and maybe there should be a dialog for what they are wearing while fighting the zombies... or is that too macro management ;)

Anyway ... back on track people!
I'm not a programmer... but I play one at Microsoft!

Kharagh
Pupating Mass

#21 Post by Kharagh »

Enough fun for today, lets get back to business 8)

Black_Dawn
Space Floater

#22 Post by Black_Dawn »

Yes back to the topic at hand: I have an idea for two more "types" of biological weapons:

1) Mass environmental damage. More of a chemical weapon than a biological weapon, this would degrade the planet's habitability, e.g. from Terran to Tundra. Something similar to Agent Orange. This kind of weapon can only be delivered from space, and would have serious and automatic diplomatic responses. Could cause the Orion Senate (or whatever) to send a retalliation fleet. But hey, if you're a warmonger, who cares, right? :twisted:

2) Plant/animal based bio weapon This one's more subtle: instead of targetting the sentient populace, it targets their food sources, reducing food production on that planet. The attack can consist of a targetted virus or simpler stuff like atomic super-locusts. The victim of this kind of attack need not even realize they were "attacked". The weapon could be released by retreating ground troops or spies.[/b]
Professor Hernandez, Human ambassador to Silica:
"Hey, rocks are people too!"
Black Dawn

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#23 Post by utilae »

You know if the environment is destroyed, then the animals are as well.

Black_Dawn
Space Floater

#24 Post by Black_Dawn »

Reducing the environmental class of a planet would have several effects:
a) Planet holds less population
b) Planet produces less food (your point)
c) Planet may become inhospitable (e.g downgrade from Tundra to Barren).
d) It would be MUCH more devastating than merely contaminating crops, for the reasons listed above, and so would be more noticeable and have dire diplomatic consequences.

Versus Contaminating Crops:
a) limited length of effect (crops become immune, scientists create new breed of wheat or whatever)
b) much more subtle, depends on spying defense to be caught
Professor Hernandez, Human ambassador to Silica:
"Hey, rocks are people too!"
Black Dawn

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#25 Post by Impaler »

The Wheel of EP makes an Environmental Change a bit more complex, unlike Moo1 and 2 their is no linear Good >> Medocure >> Bad scale that unambigusly says X type is better then Y type of planet. Each race simply has a "Ideal" value and they terriform either clocwise or counterclockwise towards that idea value.

I think the best way to aproimate what your asking for is for a "Anti-Terriforming" weapon or effect that un-terraforms the plant or if the planet is still in its original "pristine" state moves it away from the inhabited races ideal type (this might be good OR bad for your inhabitability).
This effect seems to me to be too big to realy be a biological weapon, rather its some kind of massive space based weapon, you could consivably use to to terraform planets from space too.

Crop or "Biosphere Terminators" as I would call them could also ocour as a random event so an attacked player dosent nessarily know they are under attack (assuming a spy did it that is)
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#26 Post by Daveybaby »

Impaler wrote:Crop or "Biosphere Terminators" as I would call them could also ocour as a random event so an attacked player dosent nessarily know they are under attack (assuming a spy did it that is)
Of course, so could population based diseases, i.e. naturally occuring pathogens. These could occur in one of two ways:

(1) At galaxy creation certain planets could be seeded with pathogens hostile to specific races. So when a race settles a planet containing a pathogen which affects them, there is a % chance each turn of it reaching the population and generating a plague, dependent on the population density and the 'ubiquity' of the pathogen (i.e. is it just floating around everywhere in the atmosphere, or is it carried by an obscure native lifeform which only lives in remote inaccessible areas). Depending on your biotechnology tech level, you might be able to identify hostile pathogens before colonisation.

(2) New plagues could occur spontaneously within populations, due to random mutations etc (i.e. this would be treated as an Event).

As long as new plagues are reported to the player in exactly the same way, they will not be able to tell whether its a naturally occuring plague or the result of enemy action. However, your security services might be able to tell you, and if your biotechnology tech level is high enough you might be able to identify the culprits from the 'fingerprints' they left on the disease.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#27 Post by Impaler »

I was thinking promarily along the lines of your (2) choices their. But the first one gives me an interesting idea. What if a Player could "Pre-Infect" an un-inhabited planet to discourage another race (generic or specific) from colonizing that planet (or retrroactivly eliminating the colony soon after). Seems like it could be a great way to be a "Claims Grabber".
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#28 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Impaler wrote:What if a Player could "Pre-Infect" an un-inhabited planet to discourage another race (generic or specific) from colonizing that planet (or retrroactivly eliminating the colony soon after). Seems like it could be a great way to be a "Claims Grabber".
This sounds strategically similar to laying a minefield to (non diplomatically) claim a system. Having independently researchable and similar but not indentical features like that would be a good thing, IMO.

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#29 Post by Daveybaby »

There should be a risk/cost associated with pre-seeding your planets with pathogens. How about : creating a pathogen which can 'lie in wait' for an enemy to come calling has risks. Since the pathogen has been engineered to be able to survive without its target host for long periods, it has a greater chance of mutating into a form which can target the dominant race currently on the planet.

So, if you pre-seed a world, there is a small (but significant) chance that it will mutate into a lethal strain for your own race. Thus you dont want to just go around seeding every one of your worlds with dozens of viruses, tailored at lots of different races.