More-Flexible Tech Prerequisites

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

labgnome
Juggernaut

Re: More-Flexible Tech Prerequisites

#46 Post by labgnome »

The Silent One wrote:That seems a little complicated if you ask me. I'd rather put a time-lock on the different metabolism terraforming like this:

Code: Select all

(theory) environmental adaption   500 RP / 10 Turns
    (app-building) controlled inferno environment 400 RP / 10 Turns
    (app-building) controlled radiated environment 400 RP / 10 Turns
    (app-building) controlled desert environment 400 RP / 10 Turns
..... etc .....
Anyway, I'm looking forward to your mockup and then we can discuss more about the growth category's actual layout. We should start a new thread for that though.
Okay: so this would be for species metabolism, not planet type. I was thinking of doing a Count and giving them a tag like "LITHIC_GROW" or "PHOTO_GROW" so the cost increase would be based on the number of techs in each line (for simplicity). So something like this:

Code: Select all

researchcost = 100 + 100 *
                    Count condition = And [
                        Or [
                               Tech HasTag name = "LITHIC_GROW"
                               Tech HasTag name = "ORGANIC_GROW"
                                 ect...]
                        OwnedBy empire = Source.Owner
                    ]
Mind you my coding skills aren't very good so I don't know if that would be right.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

labgnome
Juggernaut

#47 Post by labgnome »

So to focus on the big overhauls I am wanting to make to the tech tree I have started a new thread to focus more on those. I also have my mock-up for the changed growth branch there. This way if people want to continue the OR-gate discussion they can, and if they want to discuss my restructuring idea they can and we don't need to create confusion between the two ideas.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#48 Post by LienRag »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:25 pm The point was that buildings could provide a type of dependency that the tech tree didn't, primarily so that the tech tree itself could use just a single form of dependency (any vs. all). Having a particular building might be a requirement to use some aspect of some tech, which would require a player to either research that tech and produce the building, or capture the building from another empire and then be able to skip doing the extra research.
I know the discussion is quite old and I'm not sure what - if any - has been implemented of it, nor whether my opinion about this matters to anyone, but I really like this idea of buildings used as "requirements" for techs (like one cannot study advanced gravitonics before having a black hole generator) and as a consequence military conquest being a way to cut through the technology tree...