Ship Refits - fairly simple balanced idea

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Ship Refits - fairly simple balanced idea

#31 Post by LienRag »

Sounds cool...
But it would be quite micromanagy I believe ?
There is the option "scrap ship", it could just boost some PP (for a fraction of the initial ship cost without upkeep) when done within Supply...

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#32 Post by ThinkSome »

Such is life, micromanagy and all.

Sadly, in this 13th game, the RNG gods refused to blow up my rust buckets that I sent with my main fleet as armed chaff.

What's up with you, Lienrag? You offer opinion on every thread, but I don't see you playing multiplayer? SIGN UP NOW at your nearest imperial recruitment office!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#33 Post by LienRag »

One way to remove the micromanagement aspect (which is a core design principle of FreeOrion, and rightfully so) would be to make scrapping and refitting Policies...
With the "junkyard optimization" policy, all ships scrapped within Supply would refund 50% of their base cost to current Production amount.
And with the "repair and refit" policy, when a player uses the button "update ship design" in the Ship Design panel, that would automatically update all ships in Supply for a cost equal to the new parts (I'd say base cost only). I think Oberlus is working on a way to do that in FOCS ?
It's even possible to have a "refit project" building that would refit a percentage of all obsolete ship designs each turn, letting the player manage the refit cost in a centralized way.

The main idea of the original discussion (automatic refit of low-level weapons to a higher level of the same design - laser 1 to laser 2 when laser 2 has been researched) has been integrated in the game (at no Production Point cost), I wonder if we should remove it by default and have this automatic refit be another military Policy ?

Off-topic : I'd like to play multiplayer (even if I'll probably get my ass laser-kicked) but right now I can't play more than once a day and I don't want to be a burden to other players because of that.
And yes, I have many ideas on many topics - statistically, some of them should end being good.