IDEA: research/industry priority

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

ogre
Space Squid

IDEA: research/industry priority

#1 Post by ogre »

in my eyes the following idea can be better visualized in the research queue context than in the industry one but here goes...
allow a right click modifier 50% 100% 150% 200% that could inversely affect the turns vs cost to produce said venture.
eg. 10 turns 200 rp at 200% would be 5 turns and 400 rp
OR
10 turns 200 rp at 50% would be 20 turns and 100 rp

thunks <3

thanks for a great game. :)

Starcraft, Syndicate, Populous, Star Control II, Master of Orion, Master of Magic, X-COM UFO Defense, Spacehulk: Vengence of the Blood Angels.

ogre
Space Squid

Re: IDEA: research/industry priority

#2 Post by ogre »

an interesting analogy to the under-funding of a high priority queue
would be when you lose your car keys.
FRANTIC overspending, this of-course is what would occur in FO when you over-prioritize a tech you can't afford the priority modifier to.

Starcraft, Syndicate, Populous, Star Control II, Master of Orion, Master of Magic, X-COM UFO Defense, Spacehulk: Vengence of the Blood Angels.

qsswin
Pupating Mass

#3 Post by qsswin »

Well, if the projects/techs are balanced, it seems the turns would be just the right length and making the ability to finish them faster might be a bad idea, since the whole point is to slow people down even for very high producers.

ogre
Space Squid

#4 Post by ogre »

qsswin wrote:Well, if the projects/techs are balanced, it seems the turns would be just the right length and making the ability to finish them faster might be a bad idea, since the whole point is to slow people down even for very high producers.
doubling the cost of a technology to produce it in half the time wouldn't 'slow' things down?
i think the manhattan project was multisourced in it's early stages
and it definately holds theory where industry is concerned
i need a ship, my planet has been blockaded [emergency situation] and i have two teams working overtime to produce some specific responsive output.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by eleazar »

Sounds like this would add more complexity with little, if any, improvement to gameplay.

qsswin
Pupating Mass

#6 Post by qsswin »

ogre wrote:
qsswin wrote:Well, if the projects/techs are balanced, it seems the turns would be just the right length and making the ability to finish them faster might be a bad idea, since the whole point is to slow people down even for very high producers.
doubling the cost of a technology to produce it in half the time wouldn't 'slow' things down?
i need a ship, my planet has been blockaded [emergency situation] and i have two teams working overtime to produce some specific responsive output.
This definitely makes sense, but allowing you to do it at any time could still be OP. Otherwise, you could focus on learning techs while turtling up, and then put all your research on one area and instantly become an expert. Taking specified turns, along with theories, are part of the way FO balances its huge tech tree.

I'm not saying I totally disagree with your idea, and a limited form of the >100% ones might be good, but I don't like unlimited use. I also feel like queue management can quickly become annoying, and making it more complicated than necessary would not be a good idea.

ogre
Space Squid

#7 Post by ogre »

qsswin wrote:
ogre wrote:
This definitely makes sense, but allowing you to do it at any time could still be OP. Otherwise, you could focus on learning techs while turtling up, and then put all your research on one area and instantly become an expert. Taking specified turns, along with theories, are part of the way FO balances its huge tech tree.

I'm not saying I totally disagree with your idea, and a limited form of the >100% ones might be good, but I don't like unlimited use. I also feel like queue management can quickly become annoying, and making it more complicated than necessary would not be a good idea.
i fully agree with your points, i wasn't interested in being able to apply this to more than one res/ind project at a time
the inverse 50% priority is "easily" accomplished by moving various things down to the bottom to siphon leftover points...

and as for queue management, most of mine is accomplished by a fairly static selection in the begining of the game with small adaptations over time
generally the cheapest learning modifier then the cheap growth
followed up with the 400rp .5 per pop research modifier
then biological ship and plasma 1 then just learn and growth