Advanced Ship Editor like in GalCiv2

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Uziush Vielky
Space Floater

Advanced Ship Editor like in GalCiv2

#1 Post by Uziush Vielky »

I understand that FO will probably end up with a simple ship editor a la MoO2 (Select hull -> Select wanted modules -> Name and save design). I wanted to suggest a more advanced method of ship designing purely for aesthetic use. The placing of components would be just as it is right now (Selecting and putting them onto a hull template), but I would add a 3D editor to place additional decorations and bling on the current design.

This was one of my favorite things in GalCiv2 and it received very much attention from the game’s community. Unfortunately the battle mechanics did not satisfy many of players – what’s the purpose of designing a unique and beautiful ship if you can’t control it in battle?

To sum it up: Is it a good idea to customize the hulls with additional elements in 3D view purely for aesthetic reasons? This could be scheduled for after 1.0

Pros:
+ Additional replay value
+ Check out the ship designing posts on GalCiv2 forums. This was a very fun part of the game itself.
+ Easier to distinguish ship designs using the same hull type (This ship has additional wings, That other deign has some lights and pylons…)

Cons:
- Additional coding
- Additional 3D design
- Overall complicated

A glimpse of what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQcpfAALU3U

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Advanced Ship Editor like in GalCiv2

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Adding model bits for ship parts has been discussed,

viewtopic.php?p=27940#p27940

though I don't know if it has been addressed by artists for purely asthetic purposes (ie. not connected to or attempting to represent which parts are present in the design).