Request: names for human fleets

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Request: names for human fleets

#1 Post by miu »

This board seemed to most appropriate to put this request on. For 0.2 we need alphabetical list of names for fleets of futuristic human Empire, around 200 names would be good.
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

Ranos
Dyson Forest

#2 Post by Ranos »

Well when it comes to naming most things like ships and fleets, the names usually come from people, animals and places.

To simplify it though, why not just number them?

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by miu »

Because numbers are boring and harder to associate. We have that already. Idea is that each race can have own list for their fleetnames, adds to personality of races and to immersion. And for modding purposes, if someone wan'ts to have his/her's fleetnames for example be from WWI etc, just replace the file. This kind of system was in Space Empires IV. Naturally there will be a option to name fleets yourself, but this is much better than having them all like "fleet_257".

Not a difficult task, take geographical names, names from mythologies, names from scifi and fantasy, Latin words, nature, history, whatever and check that they already aren't in system-names list.

Anyone up to task? :) You can just post partial lists here and then combine them when there's enough.
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#4 Post by Aquitaine »

Why don't you just name the fleet after the system where it was assembled?
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Underling
Space Squid

#5 Post by Underling »

miu wrote:Anyone up to task? :) You can just post partial lists here and then combine them when there's enough.
OK. Here's some from Greek Mythology.

Task Force....

Hyperion ,Helios, Prometheus, Scylla, Uranus, Cronos, Ares, Athena, Hades, Poseiden, Hephaestus, Artemis, Atlas, Hermes, Gaea, Minos, Argos, Theseus, Heracles, Bellerophon, Achilles, Ajax, Agamemnon, Menelaus, Odysseus, Perseus

That's over 20 and its only a small sampling.

Check out this site for a GREAT resource for this purpose.

http://www.pantheon.org/

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by pd »

check this out!

Satyagraha
Space Kraken

#7 Post by Satyagraha »

drek
Designer Emeritus

#8 Post by drek »

good link pd

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by utilae »

Animal names:

Wolf
Tiger
Lion
Shark
Eagle
Hawk
Fox
Bear
Rhino
Cougar
Sparrow
Albatross
Condor
Raven
Vulture
Bull
Cobra
Anaconda
Hyena
Zebra
Antelope
Panther
Whale
Dolphin
Bison
Squirrel
Crow
Gorilla
Monkey
Python
Crocodile
Aligator

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#10 Post by leiavoia »

ripped right out of my game. each block has a different kind of "theme":

Amplitude, Sigma, Delta, Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Epsilon, Zeta, Theta, Iota, Omicron, Pi, Tau, Omega, Concentric, Hyperplane, Negative, Prime, Pythagorus, Vertex, Radiolarian, Levitation, Vortex, Quasar, Polar, Pulsar, Nova, Galaxy, Nebula, Starfield,

Apollo, Sol, Artemis, Hades, Vulcan, Mercury, Poseidon, Neptune, Zeus, Jupiter, Mars, Ares, Helios, Gracia, Saturn, Chronos, Vesta, Eos, Baal, Dagon, Ashtoreth, Oberon, Pluto, Triton,

Aurora, Mist, Vapor, Cloud, Refraction, Reflection, Appearence, Image, Dream, Cumulous, Nimbus, Cirrus, Stratus, Mirage, Aqua, Liquim, Teardrop, Rain, Glimmer, Shimmer, Spark,

Gambit, Luck, Fate, Chaos, Quartersaw, Draw, Ace, Hearts, Spades, Clubs, Diamonds, King, Queen, Joker, Knight, Lowball, Highball, Deuce, Trinity, PokerFace, Roulette, Sevens, Highroller, Emblem,

Mantis, Dragonfly, Beetle, Fly, Lacewing, Stinger, Termite, Scarab, Spider, Arachnid, Black Widow, Drone, Razor, Dagger, Cutter, Slicer, Knife Edge, Fang, Jaws, Nails, Shrapnel, Xplode, Blitz, Bullet, Raptor, Piranha,

Fortuna, Sleet, Icecicle, Frost, Ice, Storm, Hurricane, Typhoon, Earthquake, Landslide, Tsunami, Whirlwind, Gailforce, Megaton, Armegeddon, Destruction, Sandstorm, Avalanche, Blizzard, Crash, Crusher, Lightning, Thunder, Fire, Blaze, Inferno, Apocalypse,

Comet, Meteor, Volcano, Rock, Alcatraz, Hammer, Titan, Nephilem, Granite, Geode, Grizzly, Bear, Mammoth, Boulder, Titanium, Platinum, Palace, Parthenon, Dread, Fear, Commando,

PinPoint, Eagle, Swift, Robin, Vulture, Stealth, Ray, Octopus, Squid, Eel, Baracuda, Shark, Lamprey, Dactyl, Archeoptrix, Magellan, Condor, Hawk, Sparrow,

Pasi
Space Squid

#11 Post by Pasi »

My small contribution:

Orchid

:wink:
I'm not a programmer... but I play one at Microsoft!

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#12 Post by pd »

ah, i've forgotten my personal favourite:

'event horizon' - this is the coolest ship/fleet name ever ;)

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#13 Post by Aquitaine »

I hate to be a curmudgeon about this, but I feel that if we use any of these names, the player is just going to rename them. I don't think asking that each race have a list of 200 soon-to-be-overwritten names is a good idea. This isn't in the design document and hasn't gone been vetted by anybody.

Aq
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#14 Post by Tyreth »

To tell you the truth, I'm far more likely to use the default name than renaming them myself.

noelte
Juggernaut

#15 Post by noelte »

I also use usually default names. Later, i might change there names.