Resources

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Zireael
Space Dragon

Re: Resources

#16 Post by Zireael »

This patch is meant to enable both production and research to take place on a planet with focus being a boost rather than an enabling toggle.
I think it is a good idea.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#17 Post by eleazar »

More support without a shred of explanation doesn't help.
Last edited by eleazar on Fri May 03, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling

Zireael
Space Dragon

#18 Post by Zireael »

eleazar wrote:More support without a shrewd of explanation doesn't help.
I simply mean that being able to gather 'a lot of one and a bit of the other' is a good idea, instead of having a 'all of this and none of the other' situation.
Remember, we have PP and RP (and Trade, when it's introduced)...

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#19 Post by Krikkitone »

Zireael wrote:
eleazar wrote:More support without a shrewd of explanation doesn't help.
I simply mean that being able to gather 'a lot of one and a bit of the other' is a good idea, instead of having a 'all of this and none of the other' situation.
Remember, we have PP and RP (and Trade, when it's introduced)...

Well, because you have the cultural archives.. your Empire will always get (some) of everything.

Now when you only have 1 to 5 planets, you don't have quite as much fine tuned control over your empires output... however,
It's all "empire level"... so a single world doesn't need to produce any production/research as long as you have at least 1 other world doing it.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#20 Post by Zireael »

Well, because you have the cultural archives.. your Empire will always get (some) of everything.
And what if you lose the homeworld?

That's why I think it's better to allow 'a bit of this and a lot of that'. Especially now that other empires can freely fly through your borders.

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#21 Post by Krikkitone »

Zireael wrote:
And what if you lose the homeworld?

That's why I think it's better to allow 'a bit of this and a lot of that'. Especially now that other empires can freely fly through your borders.
The solution then is to have at least some of the "little bit of everything" be based on a "Palace" type building..denoting the Capital. rather than the cultural archives (or have them both give that effect)

Also, if you only have one planet after losing your homeworld, you have other problems.

gvdm
Space Floater

#22 Post by gvdm »

Note, I'm still in favour of focus boosting the bonus to the applied focus but still having the some of other produced (maybe 20% of the value of the focused). For all of the reasons noted above by Zireael and others. It makes for a less sensitive game.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#23 Post by MatGB »

A bump to a thread that predates me being active in the game, and I don't actually know what the patch is meant to acheive or why it would be a good idea despite reading it through, and the new comment helps not at all.

Food's gone, there's only two focuses now, they balance quite well. To even consider supporting another change, I'd need to see an analysis of what's supposedly wrong with the setup as it currently is and what you think would be improved by changing it, and why you think the proposal is the best way of solving the problem you've identified.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Chriss
Dyson Forest

#24 Post by Chriss »

There used to be a primary and secondary focus, so you could be a little more fine-grained with what your planets produce. That may be interesting sometimes for the first 20 Turns, but after that it just becomes a hassle.

I like the current, only one focus system, and as MatGB noted, I also think that it works nicely.
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.