Basic Outposts

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Basic Outposts

#76 Post by eleazar »

OllyG wrote:I built the relavent buildings for asteroid ships on an asteroid outpost, but I cannot build the ships. When I look at unavailable ships the asteroid ships seem to pass all the required conditions, but do not appear in the available list.
Has anyone managed to build any asteriod hulled ships recently? I am using version 5127 - windows.
Also when I get Silmaline Crystals on an asteroid field, the description talks about getting 25 production when using mining focus and increased growth for Litic species. I cannot use foci on asteroid fields (which I beleive is intentional).
Artificial Minds tech works on outposts, since they have Infrastructure. If techs working on Infrastructure affect outposts they can start to produce quite a lot of resources.
Overall the new system for outposts (zero population) is looking good.
You need an actual asteroid colony. Build some exobots, as they can live on asteroids. That's your quick fix

And we need to change something -- either the conditions for asteroid construction, or the habitability of asteroids.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#77 Post by Bigjoe5 »

eleazar wrote:
OllyG wrote:I built the relavent buildings for asteroid ships on an asteroid outpost, but I cannot build the ships. When I look at unavailable ships the asteroid ships seem to pass all the required conditions, but do not appear in the available list.
Has anyone managed to build any asteriod hulled ships recently? I am using version 5127 - windows.
Also when I get Silmaline Crystals on an asteroid field, the description talks about getting 25 production when using mining focus and increased growth for Litic species. I cannot use foci on asteroid fields (which I beleive is intentional).
Artificial Minds tech works on outposts, since they have Infrastructure. If techs working on Infrastructure affect outposts they can start to produce quite a lot of resources.
Overall the new system for outposts (zero population) is looking good.
You need an actual asteroid colony. Build some exobots, as they can live on asteroids. That's your quick fix

And we need to change something -- either the conditions for asteroid construction, or the habitability of asteroids.
Or the fact that outposts have no species associated with them... this is yet another unintended consequence of the no-population-no-species rule.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#78 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Bigjoe5 wrote:...the fact that outposts have no species associated with them... this is yet another unintended consequence of the no-population-no-species rule.
It wasn't unintended, at least by me. Perhaps "unexpectedly complicating for existing content".

OllyG
Space Kraken

#79 Post by OllyG »

It would be better if shipyards could only be built on colonies. Building ships is one of the most important parts of the game. Outposts should be a minor addition to an empire, not a place where a major military force could be built.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#80 Post by eleazar »

OllyG wrote:It would be better if shipyards could only be built on colonies. Building ships is one of the most important parts of the game. Outposts should be a minor addition to an empire, not a place where a major military force could be built.
Oops, that was an oversight. Good catch.
Fixed: revision 5149

Bigjoe5 wrote:
eleazar wrote:And we need to change something -- either the conditions for asteroid construction, or the habitability of asteroids.
Or the fact that outposts have no species associated with them... this is yet another unintended consequence of the no-population-no-species rule.
I don't have strong feelings about weather or not outposts should have a species. The necessary content changes to make things work don't seem very serious -- pretty much the expected kinds of things that we just didn't catch at first.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#81 Post by Geoff the Medio »

eleazar wrote:
OllyG wrote:It would be better if shipyards could only be built on colonies. Building ships is one of the most important parts of the game. Outposts should be a minor addition to an empire, not a place where a major military force could be built.
Oops, that was an oversight.
Will fix.
Just disabling building of shipyards somewhere probably isn't enough, as it's probably possible to get a shipyard at an outpost that used to be a colony. So, the location conditions for ships should also exclude outposts.