"Construction" vs. "Infrastructure"

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

"Construction" vs. "Infrastructure"

#1 Post by eleazar »

Some of the newcomers have been confused about what the construction meter does. I don't think "construction" is a very useful label.

Is there any reason i shouldn't change the translation string to the much more obvious and descriptive "infrastructure" instead?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: "Construction" vs. "Infrastructure"

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

There was probably some reason for "Construction", but I can't think of anything now...

eleazar

#3 Post by eleazar »

I've been saying, "it should be called the infrastructure meter" for years, but i don't recall anybody every saying, "No, 'construction meter' is better because...."

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#4 Post by Bigjoe5 »

I have an even better name, which more appropriately describes its current function - Resource Supply.

Unless there's another desirable use for the construction meter, let's just rename it and scale it down by a factor of 20.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

eleazar

#5 Post by eleazar »

I don't disagree. If making supply lines is all it is gonna do, it should be renamed.

The original idea was that this meter would represent all the buildings you would add to a planet in MoO2 as a matter or course. I.E. instead of building the same series of buildings on every planet, you just have a meter that grows. But i don't know what it was supposed to do. Besides this:
"The Construction Meter represents the general infrastructure of a planet. It is used to determine the growth rate of Current Meters." Which presumably wasn't the only thing the construction meter was supposed to eventually do, since it hardly parallels the many colony enhancing effects of MoO2 buildings.

But i'm not aware of any other thing that this meter should do. Assigning a bunch of effects to kick in at arbitrary points on the meter doesn't seem to be a very KISS way to employ it.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#6 Post by Zireael »

Bigjoe5 wrote:I have an even better name, which more appropriately describes its current function - Resource Supply.

Unless there's another desirable use for the construction meter, let's just rename it and scale it down by a factor of 20.
Seconded.

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#7 Post by Krikkitone »

Perhaps instead of "Resource Supply" it can be called the "Starport Range" meter [more intuitive]

dalmedya
Space Krill

#8 Post by dalmedya »

Krikkitone wrote:Perhaps instead of "Resource Supply" it can be called the "Starport Range" meter [more intuitive]
Except it's wrong. Currently, "Construction" refers to how far the colony in question can export goods; in-game, this is show as the solid colour over the Starlanes. My opinion is that this should be renamed to "Infrastructure".
"Supply" refers to how far away ships can be refuelled; this is shown as the 'creeping dots'. I think this should be renamed to "Logistics", which is the name of the Focus that increases it.
If either were named "Starport Range", I would expect it to do both. I am very strongly in favour of not doing that. I am in favour of removing the dots from starlanes that are coloured, since Construction/Infrastructure refuels ships just as well as Supply/Logistics does, but that's another matter entirely.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#9 Post by Bigjoe5 »

dalmedya wrote:Currently, "Construction" refers to how far the colony in question can export goods; in-game, this is show as the solid colour over the Starlanes. My opinion is that this should be renamed to "Infrastructure".
"Supply" refers to how far away ships can be refuelled; this is shown as the 'creeping dots'. I think this should be renamed to "Logistics", which is the name of the Focus that increases it.
I think "Fleet Supply" and "Resource Supply" would be a fine pair of names for those meters.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#10 Post by Zireael »

Bigjoe5 wrote:
dalmedya wrote:Currently, "Construction" refers to how far the colony in question can export goods; in-game, this is show as the solid colour over the Starlanes. My opinion is that this should be renamed to "Infrastructure".
I think "Fleet Supply" and "Resource Supply" would be a fine pair of names for those meters.
Seconded.

eleazar

#11 Post by eleazar »

revision 4654
"At long last changed the 'construction' meter to 'infrastructure'. If this meter never gets other functions it should be renamed to something referencing 'supply'."

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#12 Post by Dart00_Tech »

eleazar wrote:revision 4654
"At long last changed the 'construction' meter to 'infrastructure'. If this meter never gets other functions it should be renamed to something referencing 'supply'."
Dont we already have a "Supply" Meter? (Which I still dont understand what it does)....

eleazar

#13 Post by eleazar »

Dart00_Tech wrote:
eleazar wrote:revision 4654
Dont we already have a "Supply" Meter? (Which I still dont understand what it does)....
That has to do with the dotted lines. It supplies ships.

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#14 Post by Dart00_Tech »

So whats the difference between the dotted lines (i only have 3) and the solid lines (every planet)?

eleazar

#15 Post by eleazar »

The solid line shows were resources can move between systems. Ships can also be supplied here.

Dots without the solid show where only ships can be supplied.