A few simple things to make FO more playable

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: A few simple things to make FO more playable

#136 Post by Geoff the Medio »

eleazar wrote:As of r4428 that doesn't seem to work.

Revision 4432 has everything in place for %17% to work.
It shows up for me with the latest SVN, and the relevant code change was in 4427... So... Unless night didn't use the revision he said, I don't know what the problem is.
Attachments
Seventeen.png
Seventeen.png (19.72 KiB) Viewed 813 times

robstar
Space Krill

#137 Post by robstar »

nice!! this is what i was looking for...
unfortunatly the latest revision from night crashed after 10 turns
but until then it seemed like the AI's ships did move,too. i like that!!

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#138 Post by eleazar »

robstar wrote:but until then it seemed like the AI's ships did move,too. i like that!!
Really, that's odd. I watched 3 AIs for a dozen turns with my effectively omniscient "super testers" species, and no AI ship moved.

Geoff the Medio

#139 Post by Geoff the Medio »

robstar wrote:unfortunatly the latest revision from night crashed after 10 turns
Post logs from after the crash in a separate thread.
eleazar wrote:...no AI ship moved.
You probably have an issue with Python. AIs move ships immediately for me. Can you post logs from AIs and the server in a separate thread?

eleazar

#140 Post by eleazar »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
eleazar wrote:As of r4428 that doesn't seem to work.

Revision 4432 has everything in place for %17% to work.
It shows up for me with the latest SVN, and the relevant code change was in 4427... So... Unless night didn't use the revision he said, I don't know what the problem is.
It's there sometimes now.

That space is blank, until i save a ship design, and then click on it in the list. Otherwise that info is blank.

Also on the tech list, the layout only works for techs with a research cost of 99 or less. Any more and the research cost butts up against or overlaps the required number of turns. I suggest leaving room for 5 digit RP values.
list-too-close.jpg
list-too-close.jpg (37.5 KiB) Viewed 770 times
Geoff wrote:....but the new starvation system has only been added to one species (Human) and needs some testing to determine if it's working well, and needs to be added to all species if it is working.
I looked at the effect beforehand to get an idea what to expect, but seeing it in game, it's a little confusing.
Sometimes population will grown in a turn where you get the "famine" warning. Once health had dropped a ways past 20, and you reintroduce food to the colony, your population may still drop for a while, and the colony may even be lost, because even though there was plenty of food, health took too long to climb back to 20.

I'll try to have something more helpful to say, when i've had a chance to play with it more.

Geoff the Medio

#141 Post by Geoff the Medio »

eleazar wrote:That space is blank, until i save a ship design, and then click on it in the list. Otherwise that info is blank.
Should be fixed.
Also on the tech list, the layout only works for techs with a research cost of 99 or less.
Fixed?
Attachments
widened columns
widened columns
Tech_List_Cost_Time_Columns.png (17.62 KiB) Viewed 765 times

eleazar

#142 Post by eleazar »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
eleazar wrote:That space is blank, until i save a ship design, and then click on it in the list. Otherwise that info is blank.
Should be fixed.
Also on the tech list, the layout only works for techs with a research cost of 99 or less.
Fixed?
Great, though i really hope we don't include techs with a minimum 89999 turns to research. ;) Two digits are probably sufficient there, though extra space doesn't hurt.

:arrow: New Victory Condition
The games a little open-ended right now, without enemy AIs as much of a threat.

Perhaps we can provide a goal by including one "Orion" type planet. If you defeat the extra-beefy monster guardian, and colonize the planet-- you win, ostensibly due to the amazing precursor power left there. Consider this a rough draft of more sophisticated ideas listed here.

But for now it should be a more compelling victory than defeating currently pitiful AIs.

That should be do-able with the current effects system, right? Or at least with minor tweaks.

Geoff the Medio

#143 Post by Geoff the Medio »

eleazar wrote:New Victory Condition
I'm unsure whether it's worth including any explicit victory conditions right now... At most the result will be a sitrep message saying the player wins (or loses?). And besides that, why isn't just having a sandbox type game experience - with players making their own goals for playing - sufficient for v0.4?

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#144 Post by Bigjoe5 »

I just noticed that the garrison techs are using DEFENSE_SHORT_DESC, which is a bit confusing - I had to turn on auto-generated effects descriptions to make sure they actually improved the troops meter. It would probably be a good idea to define a TROOPS_SHORT_DESC, and use that instead.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Geoff the Medio

#145 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Bigjoe5 wrote:It would probably be a good idea to define a TROOPS_SHORT_DESC, and use that instead.
Can you make a patch?

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#146 Post by Bigjoe5 »

This patch adds TROOP_SHORT_DESC and uses it for the troop garrison techs. Also, I threw in a change in buildings.txt which I had already applied and tested, basically changing the Imperial Palace defense bonus to make it a bonus to max defense instead of current defense.
Attachments

[The extension patch has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

unjashfan
Creative Contributor

#147 Post by unjashfan »

I was thinking maybe there could be a custom ship design save file for players so the game would load a personal list instead of the default list. This way players don't have to keep redesigning ships over and over again. This could also help players keep their ship designs organized since currently there is no way to organize ship designs (other than reconfirming and deleting designs until they line up the way you want).