Question ...

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Darkspire
Space Floater

Question ...

#1 Post by Darkspire »

Ive read your rules and am still a little unclear, "micromanagement = evil " , i agree with.
I have an idea for a governor that seems to fit with:

"The player should spend his time making interesting and significant decisions: i.e. not making slight tweaks to a huge number of variables. "

The idea i have has never been done, i know as i think ive played / owned all the 4x since MULE. It would mean a control screen that would look after ALL building projects on every planet, freeing the player to concentrate on other tasks.

Is this suitable? I dont want to waste my time and yours writing the details out if it isn't.

Thanks

Darkspire

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Question ...

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Darkspire wrote:...a control screen that would look after ALL building projects on every planet...
This description is too vague to respond to meaningfully... You'll need to elaborate.

Darkspire
Space Floater

#3 Post by Darkspire »

The most tedious part of any 4x is the placing of buildings in each colony IMHO.
If you had a screen that took into account a planets quality,listed it in value slots from, arguments sake, 1 to 100 then by placing say, habitat improvement on a 10 value slot anything 10 and below would build it. Obviously as a planets quality improves it would be moving up the scale reading from higher slots. Maybe slot 20 would contain all the industry, and higher slots contain ship building, smaller planets would not reach as high a level because of their size so by knowing that smaller planets only reach 19 by putting industry in 20 it would mean larger planets get the industry and the ones below 20 could all be set up for research / economy. There would need to be a simple stop below certain values like 20 in my example, so that nothing below 20 got the industry but would leave value 19 and below to build all the research / economy.
This would mean that no matter how many planets there were and i do like to play on the largest maps :D this would reduce the fiddly micro management as an overall strategy could be used on this screen for all your empires buildings.

Thanks

Darkspire

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by eleazar »

The basic plan it to remove the fiddly micromanagement by severely limiting the number of buildings that need to be built per planet. These buildings going to be more like Civ's wonders: big, significant and rare.

The mundane buildings that would generally build on every planet in MoO are abstracted away into an "infrastructure" meter which gradually grows.

Darkspire
Space Floater

#5 Post by Darkspire »

Thats a shame, building strategy was always fun but as i said a bit fiddly hence the idea.
Was hoping you would have a colony screen like MOO2, not the workings just the scan of the colony buildings.

Thanks

Darkspire

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#6 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Darkspire wrote:The idea i have has never been done, i know as i think ive played / owned all the 4x since MULE. It would mean a control screen that would look after ALL building projects on every planet, freeing the player to concentrate on other tasks.
FreeOrion already has a single production screen from which the player manages everything being built in his empire.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Darkspire
Space Floater

#7 Post by Darkspire »

Bigjoe5, with no disrespect, I dont think you read my post properly. :wink:

I realise there is a single production screen, what 4x hasn't? :D

My idea was to automate the process for buildings not ships etc, have a screen that the player only has to vist when new tech becomes available, the slots would allow the player to choose what is built and where by the quality of the planet. As the process would be automated the player could mould the strategy for that screen to the way they like to play (large planets with resources for ship yards, small / medium for research and economy for example).

Thanks

Darkspire

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#8 Post by Krikkitone »

Darkspire wrote:Bigjoe5, with no disrespect, I dont think you read my post properly. :wink:

I realise there is a single production screen, what 4x hasn't? :D

My idea was to automate the process for buildings not ships etc, have a screen that the player only has to vist when new tech becomes available, the slots would allow the player to choose what is built and where by the quality of the planet. As the process would be automated the player could mould the strategy for that screen to the way they like to play (large planets with resources for ship yards, small / medium for research and economy for example).

Thanks

Darkspire
I think you are confusing Production with Economic management
FO has separated those two

There should be Absolutely Nothing that will be built (production) on ALL research worlds/ALL economy worlds, etc.

The only things that should* be Produced would be Ships and "Wonders" (I put "Wonders" in quotes since you might be able to have multiple copies, but should* almost never want to)

To increase a planet's Defense or output of certain eeconomic factors (Research, Trade, Minerals)....something you want to do for pratically all your planets.
You
1. Assign a certain focus to a world
2. Wait

The Meters will gradually/automatically go to the maximum level allowed by your Technologies/race/government/world specials

"Autolabs/Deep Core Mines/Holosimulators/etc." are not Buildings (getting produced) in FO they are techs that automatically apply

So to get the Best possible output from a world, you visit it
ONCE... in the entire game, unless you want to change what type of out put it gives you... and then you visit it ONCE each time you change

Now there Might be some use to an "auto Focus" assigner... but since you only need to assign it once, I don't think so

*I use should because if there is a building that, under certain conditions is built on ALL worlds that have X focus, then it is violating a principle of buildings under FO's design concept and either needs to be
1. made so that it is not ever worth building on multiple worlds (increasing marginal penalties for decreasing marginal benefits)
OR
2. Changed into a Tech/Policy