In ur brainstorming...

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

khormin
Space Floater

In ur brainstorming...

#1 Post by khormin »

... reviving ur old postz with repliez.

I'll be back tomorrow. Right now, sleep. Night y'all.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: In ur brainstorming...

#2 Post by pd »

Check out this page please.

Also, since this is brainstorming you can talk about whatever you want, but it'll probably be more productive if you don't revive 7 year old threads and instead focus on recent discussions. A lot of things you've commented on are outdated. You can't expect people to get into all those old threads again.

A good place to start familiarizing yourself with the project is the Philosophy page and the Design Documents of course.

Last but not least, you don't need to create threads, telling us that you'll be back soon or that you've commented in some other threads - we can see that. I was close to deleting this one.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#3 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Note that when I said "feel free to post/resurrect a brainstorming topic on a specific issue", the implication was that you should only resurrect topics that actually need further discussion. This is an example of a successful thread resurrection, since there was definitely more to discuss that hadn't been resolved. It's probably a good idea to read some of the recent threads and draw knowledge from people's implicit assumptions about various aspects of the project to get a better idea of what's been figured out already, and what hasn't.

The trouble with trying to get involved with a project like this is that it's not at all easy to tell where everything stands without reading through an obscene quantity of threads. The design documents help with this, as pd pointed out, and the Design Archive - and especially the current Game Design discussions - are also good places to get an idea of the game's direction.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

khormin
Space Floater

#4 Post by khormin »

That sounds fair, and thanks for the link - I had missed the "no extraneous threads" part, so if I can't delete due to replies, feel free to do it on my behalf.

As for 7-year-old threads, no reason that they shouldn't be dusted off. Just because ideas have been decided doesn't mean they're "finished" - after all, I don't see space combat in the game. I don't see ground combat in the game. They're not in the product yet - and even if they were, OGL = if I disagree with it, I can just tweak it.

So just being 7 years old doesn't mean the topic's done for. Just that it's dusty.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by pd »

If the ideas in those thread are mostly outdated - as I said - and some of the topics have been discussed more recently(in the design forums, see Bigjoe's post), then there's no reason to dust them off. With the amount you've been digging up, it's mostly just noise, no offense. I think your enthusiasm could be channeled in a more productive direction, if you would just stay around for a while and do some reading.

The design part of space combat is in large parts completed. Details will still need to be fleshed out, but I assume this will happen along the way.

khormin
Space Floater

#6 Post by khormin »

NP; understood what you meant now by that as well - was a bit confused.

Then can I ask what the difference is between the Game Design and Brainstorming threads are? Surely this would mean discarded ideas, since you have a Design Archive? In which case you still allow them to be posted to?

Or is the Brainstorming where ideas start, and then get moved to the official Game Design? In which case wouldn't the old threads be viable targets for people like me looking to get their own input?

Or have I missed the point altogether? In which case, where is it?

Incidentally, I do appreciate the help - but I think this would be best left further into a private message, this thread deleted, and maybe some stickies on the appropriate boards to say "Hi! Read before posting".

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

khormin wrote:Then can I ask what the difference is between the Game Design and Brainstorming threads are?
Game design threads are "official" discussions started to decide a current design issue. Brainstorming can address any design or content ideas, including things that have already been decided or that aren't yet up for discussion.
Or is the Brainstorming where ideas start, and then get moved to the official Game Design?
Many ideas from previous brainstorming threads are used in design threads, but there is a plan for design threads that doesn't generally depend on what's being discussed in brainstorming.
In which case wouldn't the old threads be viable targets for people like me looking to get their own input?

Or have I missed the point altogether? In which case, where is it?
I'm not sure what you mean by "get [your] own input", but I think the point here is that it's counterproductive to post in a seven year old abandoned thread that discusses something that's alrady been decided... Rather than being a potentially useful suggestion, many such posts will just be distracting noise. It would also probably be helpful if you took some time to get familiar with the current state of the design and what's being discussed before making lots of design posts, so that you'll have some idea what actually is being discussed or is already decided.

This isn't a situation of hard rules and procedures about posting too much or on old threads. Rather, it's about making more useful posts and fewer useless ones, and being able to tell which is which. Contributions and enthusiasm are appreciated, but may not always be as helpful as is intended... but that can be fixed.

khormin
Space Floater

#8 Post by khormin »

Hmm. Alright. I'll think on it.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by LienRag »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:34 am
khormin wrote:Then can I ask what the difference is between the Game Design and Brainstorming threads are?
Game design threads are "official" discussions started to decide a current design issue. Brainstorming can address any design or content ideas, including things that have already been decided or that aren't yet up for discussion.
Sorry for the necroposting¹, but when I can I introduce FreeOrion to potential contributors (lately, one senior UX/UI designer, and academics willing to provide fluff in their particular domain of expertise) and one of them told me that he had a look at the "brainstorming" part of the forum.

I wasn't even aware that there was a "Brainstorming" part of the forum ? Where is it ? How is it supposed to be used ?
Many things that I write about are probably more brainstorming that directly game design (even "other") so I guess I should post them in that "Brainstorming" section ?

¹ In general, I consider that good ideas do not get obsolete by themselves; if the game direction did not change enough to make them irrelevant, it doesn't matter if they've been discussed last month or twenty years ago, I mean if no definitive decision had been made in the interval. So usually I don't understand the expression necroposting, but obviously in this particular case there's no use to resurrect this old thread, except to ask my question following this specific Geoff post.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

LienRag wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:22 pmI wasn't even aware that there was a "Brainstorming" part of the forum ? Where is it ? How is it supposed to be used ?
The Other Game Design forum, which is described as:
For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#11 Post by LienRag »

Oh, thanks.