Sectors (illustated with jpg)

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Kharagh
Pupating Mass

#46 Post by Kharagh »

@ Impaler:
I like your idea about the Capitals in every Ancient Sector very much. Creating those will add a lot more fun to the game, as it will add a series of minor goals to be accomplished, apart from the big one to conquer Orion. People will have a much better reason to explore further from their homeworlds.
The Goodies (eg ancient technologiers) hidden on the Capital planets will also add more fun and atosphere to the game.

I always liked those mysterious parts of moo2 best, finding Orion, getting ancient technologies, etc.

It would be great if we could implement a lot of such stuff into the game.

herbert_vaucanson
Space Floater

#47 Post by herbert_vaucanson »

Kharagh wrote:@ Impaler:
I like your idea about the Capitals in every Ancient Sector very much.
I second that. Static, hystoric, internally well-connected sectors look more fun than the name-game we could make of them.
Then we will need to build an imperial "sector capitol" within each of any such sectors which host imperial colonies in order to reap organisational benefits, and so on...

By the way: I vote for bidimensional galaxies with boundaries.
- Well, what about this: a lot of empty space, colored balls spinning around, the occasional nifty exlosion, and some infestation here and there to give it the "lived in" feel?
- It shouldn't take more than a week... ok, I am in.

Dreamer
Dyson Forest

#48 Post by Dreamer »

I know this topic has not been active for a time, but I was thinking in possible benefits of having static sectors like RISK continents. Apart from the obvious geografical advantage when defending a short number of exits I come up with an idea to expand on the "many orions" idea.

Imagine that every planet in a sector has the remains of a ancient artifact. This artifacts are the remains of a complex network device that connects every planet in the sector and can only be used if you own every one of them. If the device is turned on then every planet can be greatly terraformed one way or another (maybe this can be the only way to get gaias) and a bonus on every resource production is obtained.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#49 Post by utilae »

Dreamer wrote: I know this topic has not been active for a time, but I was thinking in possible benefits of having static sectors like RISK continents. Apart from the obvious geografical advantage when defending a short number of exits I come up with an idea to expand on the "many orions" idea.
I do like the idea of territories, so that if you get a bunch of them (a 'continent') you get some kind of bonus.
Dreamer wrote: Imagine that every planet in a sector has the remains of a ancient artifact. This artifacts are the remains of a complex network device that connects every planet in the sector and can only be used if you own every one of them. If the device is turned on then every planet can be greatly terraformed one way or another (maybe this can be the only way to get gaias) and a bonus on every resource production is obtained.
I don't think it would be a good idea to do this for each and every territory. But I guess each territory could have a few artifacts (on a few but not on all planets in territory) so that when they are all collected, you get something special.

Dreamer
Dyson Forest

#50 Post by Dreamer »

Well, it's mostly a way to explain the bonus if you have all systems in a sector. Of course we can give no explanation at all... :lol:

Other idea: A screen that says "you have reunited the ancient kingdom of "blabla" under you control. The people in the sector acknowledges you as the supreme ruler spoken in prophesy" --> bonus!!

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#51 Post by Impaler »

Its not MONOPOLY their shouldnt be an emphisis on controling a whole sector,

Their is a Capital that acts as a "mini Orion/Artifact world" in each sector to encourage exploration but their are no "people" of the sector. The Sector represents the remains of an Anchient Orion era empire that has vanished long ago. Generaly the Capital is a good strategic location because it is a Hub of Starlanes (the starlanes were created by these Empires using Orion tecnology). The rest of the Sector is generaly withing 2 hops of the Capital and all star systems in the Sector are reachable from the Capital without traveling outside the sector (unless they arn't conected at all).

Your not "recreating" some anchient Empire when you colonize and concour, thouse anchient Empires were created by Aliens (unless your race is an "Anchient" race inwhich case your Homeworld would BE a Sector Capital and you would get all these goodies right from the start of the game plus the mobility advantages of the starlanes). Thats realy the only way I could see this type of bonus happening.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#52 Post by utilae »

We were thinking that each 'set of territories' have a history, so that you could say this was the ____ territory/sector, where ______ happened ____ years ago. Here's some tech from that time or some kind of bonus.

For example, in StarGate you might have the sector where Earth is and there are alot of stargates.

Go to another sector and there might be no stargates.

Argus
Space Floater

#53 Post by Argus »

I like the idea of territories. It goes along with my idea of using clusters to generate galaxy maps (You determine how many clusters you want based on whatever criteria you want ie density, # galactic arms etc, lay out the clusters, lay out the stars of a cluster such that cluster A is connected to cluster B). Then using this you determine starlanes etc.
We could say that through archeology you're scientists have uncovered clues, prophesies etc which we could use to explain whatever goodies we want in the game like free tech, increased production/happiness, decrease in costs etc. Some of these clues might only be useful when you've collected enough or all of them in a cluster or for bigger goodies multiple clusters. Perhaps a minor goody might be map information that describes the borders of a territory but not the star information in the territory since that would take away from finding that stuff out for yourself.
Anyway I like the idea of territories as macro control mechanisms very much and incentives for exploration.
I think that the player should also have a way to define his own territories. I know I wouldn't like being forced to use pre-defined territories at all. Of course I don't like the idea of being forced to use pre-defined starlanes either but that's neither here nor there....
As a compromise perhaps pre-defined territories when used might give increased benefits over player defined ones.
Either way... good idea!
Argus