Governments- a Comprehensive list and discriptions

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Governments- a Comprehensive list and discriptions

#31 Post by eleazar »

pd wrote:Religion has been and is such a big part of human culture that it's impossible for it to not influence our alien designs in one way or another.

The stories and designs we create are works of pure fiction(like the bible :)). We don't intend to offend anybody and I don't like to exclude such a fun topic(from a story and design point of view) just because some people seek to be offended.
If you don't intend to offend people, you shouldn't go around making statements like: "... works of pure fiction(like the bible)". I can understand that the supernatural elements are hard to except, but the history is holding up rather well to ongoing archeological discoveries.

Aside from that i agree with your main point, though we would probably be wise to avoid "alien" religions that are parodies of current earth religions.

Though for the purposes of alien religions i wouldn't make a distinction between "religions" "philosophies" and "ideologies". Functionally, they are all strongly-held, motivating world-views. It would likely be difficult to neatly categorize an alien belief system into one of these groups.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#32 Post by pd »

I really thought the smiley made the jokingly nature of this side remark clear.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#33 Post by Tortanick »

IConrad wrote:Okay -- back on topic; we really don't need to include Theocracy as a specific governmental type. Perhaps if we called one of the options "Fundamentalist" -- that way it could be secular fundamentalism (which is just as bad) as well as religious -- and that relegates religions to flavor-text.
Fundamentalist what? Fundamentalist Communism is not the same as Fundamentalist Capitalism

IConrad
Space Kraken

#34 Post by IConrad »

Tortanick wrote:Fundamentalist what? Fundamentalist Communism is not the same as Fundamentalist Capitalism
Have you played Alpha Centauri or Civ IV? I can't help but note that your question is irrelevant in the context we're describing. Communism and Capitalism would be economic radio buttons. Fundamentalism would be on an entirely separate track, whatever we choose that to be.

I.e.; "Economic Organization" -- Capitalist, Communist, Corporatist; "Social Organization" -- Rationalist, Moderate, Fundamentalist; "Governmental Organization" -- Despotic, Aristocratic, Democratic -- and so on.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#35 Post by Tortanick »

Alpha centauri and Civ 4 only let you play as humans. That comes with a set of assumptions that probobly wont be applicable to aliens and since we have multiple species of aliens fundamentalist would probably mean very different things to each one.

IConrad
Space Kraken

#36 Post by IConrad »

Tortanick wrote:That comes with a set of assumptions that probobly wont be applicable to aliens and since we have multiple species of aliens fundamentalist would probably mean very different things to each one.
What? This makes no sense.

Fundamentalism is "Strict adherence to any set of basic ideas or principles." I don't care if aliens call it glasdfvbwwvvvrrupt or Za'ha'Dum - it's still fundamentalism. Furthermore, the model I described didn't adhere fundamentalism to any specific ideology of any kind -- just "fundamentalism".

And by the way, fundamentalist rationalists exist, and they do not adhere to literal "Reason" -- no matter how much they might claim to do so. (Google "Objectivist" sometime.)

Are you trolling, Tortanick? I'm quite serious here -- because I genuinely can't understand your responses from anything other than a trolling stance at this point. It's making no sense.

Also -- SMAX (Alpha Centauri: Crossfire) very specifically did let you play non-humans. Three or possibly four factions, depending on your viewpoint about transhumans.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#37 Post by Tortanick »

IConrad wrote:
Tortanick wrote:That comes with a set of assumptions that probobly wont be applicable to aliens and since we have multiple species of aliens fundamentalist would probably mean very different things to each one.
What? This makes no sense.
Its quite simple, when you only have humans its reasonable enough to assume that "fundamentalist" means theocracy, the vast majority of human fundamentalist governments are theocracies with only a brief bit of communism.
This is pretty much explicit with alpha-centauri, the University can easily be described as fundamentalist scientists but the fundamentalist government pick gives a research penalty (and pretty much lines up with The Believers' fraction bonuses)

Whith alien species you can't make that assumption, their history, cultures, religions and psychologies are too varied to assume that fundamentalism would mean theocracy or that it would have similar effects for different species. Its best to stick to stuff like "environmentalist" where regardless of the species decreased production and decreased pollution are a reasonably safe bet.
IConrad wrote: Furthermore, the model I described didn't adhere fundamentalism to any specific ideology of any kind -- just "fundamentalism".
It dosn't work that way, the pluses and minuses given to a fundamentalist government can only be accurate if you know what kind of fundamentalism they follow, fundamentalists who follow the scientific method or something like it would probably get the exact opposite to fundamentalist theocracy. There simply isn't a set of pluses and minuses that apply equally to all fundamentalist.
IConrad wrote:And by the way, fundamentalist rationalists exist, and they do not adhere to literal "Reason"
If they don't adhere to literal "Reason" then they're not fundamentalist rationalists ;) however I see no reason why fundamentalist rationalists who do adhere to "Reason" can't exist just because currently there arn't any.
IConrad wrote:Are you trolling, Tortanick? I'm quite serious here -- because I genuinely can't understand your responses from anything other than a trolling stance at this point. It's making no sense.
Please follow proper debating procedure, no Ad Hommonm attacks.
IConrad wrote:Also -- SMAX (Alpha Centauri: Crossfire) very specifically did let you play non-humans. Three or possibly four factions, depending on your viewpoint about transhumans.
I forgot about Crossfire

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#38 Post by Krikkitone »

That's why I think it should refer to Culture rather than "religion".. and it should be one COMPONENT of Government.

IConrad
Space Kraken

#39 Post by IConrad »

If they don't adhere to literal "Reason" then they're not fundamentalist rationalists ;) however I see no reason why fundamentalist rationalists who do adhere to "Reason" can't exist just because currently there arn't any.
Fundamentalism and Reason are diametrically oppositional. It doesn't matter what you claim to believe; if your belief is absolutist (i.e.; fundamentalist) then you are closed to new ways and lines of thinking. This impedes ideological growth.

The Objectivists, for example, are an extremely closed-minded group.
Its quite simple, when you only have humans its reasonable enough to assume that "fundamentalist" means theocracy,
Tortanick, please go back and re-read what the rest of us have been saying. We have all been specifically excluding the idea that fundamentalism is tied exclusively to theocracy. Why do you insist on making this connection? It's counterproductive, and inflammatory.

Now, I know I've got no authority in these forums -- I'm not even a code contributor -- but seriously... you keep this up and I know that I, for one, am very likely to not want to participate in this process anymore. The water's getting too damned unfriendly for me.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#40 Post by Tortanick »

IConrad wrote: Why do you insist on making this connection? It's counterproductive, and inflammatory.
If you follow the chain of posts
Tortanick wrote:Fundamentalist what? Fundamentalist Communism is not the same as Fundamentalist Capitalism
IConrad wrote:Have you played Alpha Centauri or Civ IV? I can't help but note that your question is irrelevant in the context we're describing.
Tortanick wrote:Alpha centauri and Civ 4 only let you play as humans. That comes with a set of assumptions that probobly wont be applicable to aliens
IConrad wrote:What? This makes no sense.
Tortanick wrote:Its quite simple, when you only have humans its reasonable enough to assume that "fundamentalist" means theocracy, the vast majority of human fundamentalist governments are theocracies with only a brief bit of communism.
You'll see that the we were talking about Civ 4 and Alpha Centauri and weather its model of fundamentalism works for FreeOrion; So why do I keep making the connection? Simple, Alpha Centauri based fundamentalism on a theocracy (Civ4 dosn't actually have fundamentalism but back in Civ 2 it did and it was a theocracy). When I'm actually talking about free orion I don't make that connection at all.
Tortanick wrote:Whith alien species you can't make that assumption, their history, cultures, religions and psychologies are too varied to assume that fundamentalism would mean theocracy or that it would have similar effects for different species.
IConrad wrote: you keep this up and I know that I, for one, am very likely to not want to participate in this process anymore. The water's getting too damned unfriendly for me.
No one is attacking you, I simply have a different way of thinking to most people and occasionally my posts don't make any sense unless your me. When that happens just ask me and I'll clarify it but assuming because you can't understand something its trolling is just counterproductive and inaccurate.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#41 Post by Bigjoe5 »

IConrad wrote:
but you've certainly failed in your attempt to restrict the conversation to citable facts.
This is uncalled for.
You're right. I apologize.
IConrad wrote:
As to the rest; please do remember that individuals are not organizations. It doesn't matter what select individuals said or did; it matters how the organization responded.
I'll try respond in a manner that's relevant to the making of this game, but let me point out that the response of an organization is the collective response of the influential individuals of said organization. St. Peter's square doesn't pontificate - the Pontiff does.
  • Galileo popularized the Copernican model and was almost excommunicated for it. "the world is firmly established, it cannot be moved. -- remember?
Psalm 93? I believe a metaphorical interpretation is in order... Actually, to my knowledge, a lot of Catholic religious leaders were interested in the Copernican model; the trouble started when he began teaching it as a proven fact, rather than as the theory it was.

At any rate, since an organization is a group of people, the question has less to do with what advances that organization will reject, but whether or not the ideology of said organization inspires its members to engage in rational, creative thought, thus encouraging the scientific process. You can definitely say that a few advancements were slowed down by the Catholic Church, but how many of those advancements would even have occurred if it weren't for it's influence?

Once again, I have to say that I disapprove of the use of predefining bonuses and maluses for any type of government whose name would have religious connotations. You can't help but make a statement about religion in general, and in turn offend somebody, and you certainly can't define a set of bonuses/maluses that would apply to every form of theocracy or fundamentalism. Definitely specific races should have their cultures and their ideologies, but these should simply be reasons for having specific race picks, not the picks themselves.
Its quite simple, when you only have humans its reasonable enough to assume that "fundamentalist" means theocracy,
Tortanick, please go back and re-read what the rest of us have been saying. We have all been specifically excluding the idea that fundamentalism is tied exclusively to theocracy. Why do you insist on making this connection? It's counterproductive, and inflammatory.
Just because we've decided to talk about it in different terms doesn't mean that the average player won't make that connection and see that word with that particular connotation. In fact, its rather counter-productive to talk about any word an a way different from the way the player will interpret it.

Actually, all this being said, I can't help but think we're taking the wrong approach to this. We should really be focusing on the specific strategic options we want to enable with different government types rather than taking a bunch of government types out of the real world and deciding what bonuses they should give.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#42 Post by Tortanick »

Bigjoe5 wrote:Actually, all this being said, I can't help but think we're taking the wrong approach to this. We should really be focusing on the specific strategic options we want to enable with different government types rather than taking a bunch of government types out of the real world and deciding what bonuses they should give.
Words of true wisdom.

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#43 Post by Krikkitone »

Good idea,

so, based on that, what strategies would "government" be used for?
[note: government in this sense should not only include laws and police forces it sould also include customs/traditions/social pressures]

I think the first, most basic, strategy government is used for is keeping all your society working in the same direction.

ie government is the basic thing that prevents rebellions (which loses you planets and/or destroys your economy)

You have a few different approaches to this (that are also gameplay strategies)

1. Constrictive v. Accomodating: The basic approach to disagreement in society: Constrictive would create a society that is more limited (number of planets, number of species, number of 'cultures') but more efficient, better at an isolationist/antagonistic approach to other empires/societies... Accomodating would be better able to handle multiple planets/species/cultures, but it would be less efficient... possibly more easily manipulated by other empires/societies
[this could work in a number of different ways.. generically, as well as specifically regarding planets/species/cultures]

2. Stable v. Flexible: a similar idea... stability would be more efficient, but less able to adjust [social engineering would cost more in money, time, and/or loyalty], with greater defense against manipulation. Flexible would be less efficient and more open to manipulation, but you could adjust strategies more rapidly/cheaply

3. Target goal: Res v. Prod v. Social Basically determining the way the player wants to win the game but forcing them to choose a government that helps one at the expense of the others
Res.. going for a tech win
Prod (Ind+Min)..going for a military based conquest win
Social..going for a diplomatic/spy based 'unification' win OR a 'utopia/transcendance' win

MathGeek
Space Floater

#44 Post by MathGeek »

It seems as if most of the choices we could have for government fall as a choice between constrictive and accomodating (to borrow Krikkitone terminology). maybe we could use this to organize the choices. That would make it easy for empires to have a preference for one "type" of government policy, so that having the "wrong" type of government in any one area would cause unrest.

Here is what I mean (just picking a couple of random possibilities):

___________|Constrictive|__Neutral__|Accomodating
Economic___|__________|____X_____|____________
Social______|____X_____|__________|____________
Interspecies_|__________|__________|_____X______

(Hopefully the ascii chart displays OK. I don't have much experience with this sort of thing.)
This gives us the create-a-government aspect of SMAC that is so popular, and lets us add choices at a future time that will still be consistent with the basic framework. It also simplifies empire customization as noted above. I hope that the constrictive policies will work together to generally control the population and give bonuses to espionage and military production, while accomodating policies will generally boost trade, research and diplomacy. Hopefully different situations would call for different combinations of policies.
There is no charge for awesomeness ... or attractiveness.

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#45 Post by marhawkman »

I gotta agree with the "Fundamentalist what?" comment. Being a fundamentalist means strict adherence to a set of principles, but it alone tells you nothing about a race. Are they fundamentalist pacifists, Fundamentalist berserkers, or maybe fundamentalist technophiles?
Computer programming is fun.