Planatary Dammage from orbital combat

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

Planatary Dammage from orbital combat

#1 Post by Tortanick »

Just a random idea I had, we give every ship a hidden stat either based on its size or firepower, if its destroyed in orbit around an inhabited planet then the planet is bombarded, much like with bombs, the damage done is based on the hidden stat and a random modifier.

The main effect this would have is to provide an advantage to fighting battles in deep space rather than orbiting your planet. (The advantage to fighting in orbit is you can bring planetary defences into play). I'm not actually sure weather we'd want to encourage that, this is just a random idea I had.

MrV
Space Floater

Re: Planatary Dammage from orbital combat

#2 Post by MrV »

I like it a lot! I've been speculating that platforms might turn combat into "I camp my planet, you camp yours, if you want me come and get me". With something like this, players would have incentive to prevent fleets from reaching their homeworlds in the first place.

Josh
Graphics

#3 Post by Josh »

"Orbital zones" I would like to see. A little section around each planet that a ship or missiles (or whatever) can enter to interact with the planet. An area of the map that is different from the plain space you see everywhere. The orbital zone could:

- make ships stealthier
- house defense satellites
- make defenders harder to kill
- be necessary to enter in order to drop bombs on the planet
- allow ships to go nuts and explode over the continents
- and other stuff

More than that, I think I would like to see v.04. That's just me though

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by Tortanick »

Josh
Graphics

#5 Post by Josh »

Oh. Okay then, never mind, sorry I brought it up.