Terrain worlds

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

Re: Terrain worlds

#46 Post by Krikkitone »

eleazar wrote:
Krikkitone wrote:Frigid just means cold...
"Cold" compared to what?

Obviously the aliens native to a "frigid" world don't consider it "frigid". They consider it "just right". That's what i mean by "anthropocentric", terms that only make sense from a human point of view.
Compared to all the other environments... although I did change that one. (since it wasn't colder than all other environments)

When I came up with that final list I tried to think of what makes that environment unique, ie different from ALL the other 8.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#47 Post by Tortanick »

eleazar wrote: Obviously the aliens native to a "frigid" world don't consider it "frigid". They consider it "just right". That's what i mean by "anthropocentric", terms that only make sense from a human point of view.
A possibility just occurred to me: What if we were to give each race a unique name for their favourite type of planet. Humans like planes, so if you play Human every planes world is called a Terran world. Devils like Inferno worlds, so when you play as devils all inferno worlds are called Stygian worlds.

Although apart from Terran I think the goal of not-anthropocentric is met quite well, being covered in water, or sandy and very hot (with hot being a defined tempriture, not what you find uncomfortably hot) are objective measures. "Terran" though only makes sense if your culture revolves around earth enough that you compare all planets to it.

Robbie.Price
Space Kraken

#48 Post by Robbie.Price »

Goodmorning all,

Having unique names for each planet type is already proving hard enough, creating ~(Planet type)^2 unique names could only be harder...

Also when playing the game one would have to think about what type of planet this actually is. . . . and with a multi species empire ... the name of the planet type would change depending who you where planning to colonize it with...

All and all it simply might be too much work.

Can you think of any game play reasons why you would want this?

Best wishes
Robbie Price

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#49 Post by Tortanick »

Robbie.Price wrote: Having unique names for each planet type is already proving hard enough, creating ~(Planet type)^2 unique names could only be harder...
Well the hard part is getting names that make sense environmentally. The new ones wouldn't have to since they're not actually the name of an environment but a cultural specific word meaning "like home". Of course that might cause problems when an alien language dosn't even contain words that would sound right...

and it should be (Planet type) + (number of playable races)
Robbie.Price wrote:Also when playing the game one would have to think about what type of planet this actually is. . . . and with a multi species empire ... the name of the planet type would change depending who you where planning to colonize it with...
Nah, just change based on the original species only.

Robbie.Price wrote:All and all it simply might be too much work.
Might be.
Robbie.Price wrote:Can you think of any game play reasons why you would want this?
Give the races more Character. Get rid of the out of place use of Terran. But they're not really "game play" (well come on, its not going to affect game play at all, how am I supposed to find a game play reason ;))