planet to planet conflict

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

discord
Space Kraken

#16 Post by discord »

impaler: actualy statistics should be alot simpler to program, although it might be a nice touch with arcs and stuff.

//discord

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#17 Post by Impaler »

Well I think that by the time you reduce it all down it should be simple, probly something liek chance to hit = area of target squared times 2 pie Distance Squared or something like that. Give me the weekend to think it over.

Oh and by the way none of this aplies to Missles or other physical projectilse. Guided projectilse depend almost entirely on projectils speed and Electronic Guidance. unguided projectilse would be so usless in space at the ranges we are using that they should be used only for Planetary Bombardment and incredibly close Point Defence (which is practicaly what they are religated to do in the REAL navy already) as you all should know.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

khormin
Space Floater

Re: planet to planet conflict

#18 Post by khormin »

What if you don't have ships in that system? Would the planet weapons count on their own as triggering space combat? 'Cause that'd be silly - which planet would you zoom to? Both of them simultaneously?

I say have planetary weapons systems (ie; planet-side missile batteries, etc) count in planetary bombardment, and allows a planet bombardment phase even if you have no ships there. They bomb you, you bomb them, next turn boom de boosh.

Other than that, your "standard" missile/laser/etc systems would be defensive only - mostly anti-ship, anti-missile, anti-transport stuff.

And for the love of god, make it so that planet defenses can work against pirates/hostiles without ships!

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

Re: planet to planet conflict

#19 Post by marhawkman »

Hmm... I like the idea of planets being able to fire long range weapons at each other. Not really sure how to render it without some sort of function to automatically give the planetside armaments the longest range stuff you've got.

Oh and props fo fidning a thread I'd never seen before!
Computer programming is fun.