Titles

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

Titles

#1 Post by Bigjoe5 »

I was just thinking that in MoO2 you were always "Emperor". If your title was based on your government, i.e "President" for Democracy, or "King" for Feudal, it would spice things up a bit. Maybe the player could choose his own title?
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

Re: Titles

#2 Post by Tortanick »

I see no reason why not.

Perhaps additional Titles could be awarded (and removed) over the game for achievements.

Some examples:

Lord of a Billion Souls: have 100 population in your empire
Ruler of the Western Spiral: Conquer a predefined section of the map,
Master of Orion: given who anyone who colonises the Orion system

You could end the game with a list of titles as long as your arm

For each achievement a players title could be randomly selected from a pool of possible titles (except Master of Orion).

Credit for this idea should go to the Dominions series by Illwinter games, although their randomly selected titles are given at the start of the game only.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#3 Post by Bigjoe5 »

We could also have things like Spy Master or Battle Lord for people who are focusing on one specific area of the game. Of course these kinds of titles would have to be able to be selectively hidden from one's opponents. I sure wouldn't want my opponent to know if I was a Spy Master. :P
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by Tortanick »

I disagree: it should be for the most successful spy master / warlord rather than just focusing on one area, titles should be for achievements, not choices.

P.S.

The Eye in Shadows
Saint of Destruction

Your two, but better sounding ;)

Rho
Space Floater

#5 Post by Rho »

Government and achievements, there should be a table for that so no democracy ends up with a trade kaiser. The saint of destruction suggestion is a little self-contradictory.

A simple version of the table idea:
govt - most successful in espionage - defeated enemy when outnumbered - conquered orion
democracy - big brother - military mastermind - master of orion
despotism - spy lord - kaiser of destruction - master of orion
--
.rho