Ballancing: Micromanagement vs. Generalization

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Sheldar
Space Floater

Ballancing: Micromanagement vs. Generalization

#1 Post by Sheldar »

In all of these games we have a problem ballancing the ability to Micromanage and to Generalize. I have listed some Pros and Cons of each approach. Trying to find this ballance is probably the single most difficult ballance of a good game. (See after these lists for some suggestions on how to do this.)

Micromanage:
  • Pros:
    • Get the most out of a planet or design.
    • Feel really involved in your empire.
    • Your ships/planets can have reflect your style of play (ie. are you a biological devestator, missile boat admiral, beam users, etc.)
  • Cons:
    • For Power User not the beginner.
    • Getting lost in the details can cause to lose focus/fun in game.
    • Later in the game (especially big games) the number of planets to control/configure becomes very large.
Generalize:
  • Pros:
    • Quick handling for beginners and those who are into exploration and/or combat.
    • Overview for large empires.
    • Games go quicker.
    • If supporting campaign mode: Allow to fulfill a specific goal without getting mired down in the details.
  • Cons:
    • May feel a lack of configurability to be able to use technology and other advantages fully.
    • Smaller games may not be as fun.
Suggestions:
1) Provide an ability to set a planet with an AI script.
2) Provide an easy way to see where in an AI script a planet is.
3) Provide an easy way to change AI scripts.
4) Provide a set of AI scripts that Beginners can use and others can start with to modify.
5) Probably store AI scripts as .xml files.

Example AI Script:
  • Purpose: Build a planet in a general way
  • Exit Criteria: When planet reaches a certain level of sophistication.
  • Exit Criteria: When a planet has an enemy ship/planet nearby.
  • Examples:
    • build up colony infrastructure in the following order .... (based on population or mineral values or just in a certain order.)
    • If enemy ship/planet nearby --> Exit and notify
    • If planet has all the desired buildings --> Exit and notify

Example AI Script:
  • Purpose: Update planet as new research comes out.
  • Exit Criteria: When a planet has an enemy ship/planet nearby.
  • Examples:
    • If new technology becomes available and is a specified type then build new buildings, etc.
    • If enemy ship/planet nearby --> Exit and notify
    • If planet has all the desired buildings --> Enter steady state (research or mining or food or ...)

Example AI Script:
  • Purpose: Build a small ship with latest beam weapon
  • Exit Criteria: When a planet/empire cannot handle more ships or has reached a certain maintenance cost.
  • Examples:
    • If new technology is applicable --> design new ship
    • If maintenance levels reached --> Exit and notify

The point of these examples are to show how some defaults scripts allows new planets to be "stood up" effectively without having to have personal attention. In the middle of a war is not the best time to micromanage. So turn over some of the planets that aren't critical to the war over to the AI Script(s). Can tweak it as desired for the power users. This will allow beginners to quickly enter the game world and then dig deeper.

Sheldar
Space Floater

Re: Ballancing: Micromanagement vs. Generalization

#2 Post by Sheldar »

An example for this is MOO. In this game I have a default handling of new planets.
1) eco=clean, production=rest --> till full production
2) eco=all --> till all tereforming done
3) eco=clean, production=rest --> till full production
3) eco=clean, def=rest --> till shields done and some number of bases
4) eco=clean, def=2 ticks, research=rest --> till new technology or ships built or other specific task.

This is my normal setup for steady state. The problem is that when a new terraforming or industrial controls level or shield comes out, I choose 75% but then I have to go back through and put "def=2 ticks" again. Also if industrial controls comes up and I have a planet building population after sending to a colony it will zero it sometimes. This can be a problem.

By having the option to use an AI Script I could handle those kinds of updates. And if I can save them from game to game then I can tweak it and reuse it.

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#3 Post by MikkoM »

Is this idea really any different from the idea presented in this topic?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1812

Sheldar
Space Floater

#4 Post by Sheldar »

Valid point. My bad.