I did a search and read the relavant threads i could find. I'd like to propose the simplest solution i can think of that is strategicly interesting and intuitive. I'm following what seems to be the consensus that commerce should happen implicity, i.e. you don't build and control the ships that move non-military resources between planets.
I've thought of elaborations, and exceptions that could reasonably be added to this, but like i said, i'm trying for the simplest intersting solution. If it doesn't allow for something of strategic value, it could be elaborated with stuff like ideas about partial blockades.
I'm going to explicitly use the example of food redistribution, but i think very similar rules could be used for the redistribution of other resources, trade, military resupply (if this is implemented), and possibly even population migration. I will take into account the ownership of planets within the same system by different empires, which neccesarily complicates things.
your side = belonging to you or your allies
uncontested = there have been no enemy fleets in the system this turn.
Friendly Node: The full exchange of food occurs between planets that can be connected by an unbroken line of friendly starlane nodes. The starlane between 2 friendly nodes is colored the color of your empire (as per current version).
A friendly node is a system that fulfills one of the following:
- * Contains only your side's ships and planets.
* Contains one of your side's planets, and neutral ships and/or planets.
* Contains no inhabited planets but, contains a your side's stationary, uncontested military ships.
A neutral node is a system that fulfills one of the following:
- * Has not been explored by your side.
* Contains planets belonging to your side, and enemies, but the enemy ships do not have uncontested control of the system.[edit: added these 2 lines]
* Contains no ships or inhabited planets.
* Contains only netural ships and/or planets.
* Contains your side's planets, and a both your side's and enemy ships at some point in the turn. (i.e the system was contested)
An enemy node is a system that fulfills one of the following:
- * Contains enemy planets, but does not contain your side's planets.
* Contains a stationary, uncontested enemy fleet.