Design: Space Stations

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

discord
Space Kraken

#61 Post by discord »

utilae: well, main reason i wanted it was two.

#1 pirates, they kinda need something to steal, neh?(and the ability for players to BE pirates.)

#2 not unlimited repair/fuel capacity.(and creating the support vessel class ships, wich are mainly fuel tanks....nice little targets to take out in battle *grin*, wich creates for more strategic battles....if they are about to run out of fuel, they cant stay around and fight as long...) hmm, nice there with the balancing between how much fuel/parts you want to carry around and how much weaponry.

just my ideas for making it more complex *grin*

//discord

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#62 Post by utilae »

This all takes place in space combat:
----------
Pirates should attack you and you can physically see and attack them (unless they are stealth, you need scouts). If they get close enough to your supply lines (dotted lines goining between planets, starbases, etc), then they can start taking resources (minerals, food, money) at a set rate. So if ther long enough they could take heaps.

You goal would be to destroy them before they get near your resources and retreat.

It would be a good gameplay factor, along how you would want it, but less complex.

discord
Space Kraken

#63 Post by discord »

complex, yes.....but it would be kinda nice to create the need to protect some pretty defenseless vehicles....ahwell, i'll tag along on your idea there.

#1 if so, then cloaking should also make it possible to work totaly undetected(if you limit the amount you steal, so that the viceroys dont catch up so fast, and move on.)

#2 you would have to be able to limit the amounts you steal.

#3 hmm, 'support' piracy in other empires? in effect, you pay a small tribute so they do their work elsewhere then your home yard.

#4 limited diplomatic channels? so that you dont always know everyone....

#5 hmm, how would 'cloaking/stealth/ecm' really work? one part would be limiting the range they can detect your ships at, another would be modifiers on to-hit chance....etc.

//discord

Thumper
Space Kraken

#64 Post by Thumper »

I wanna be a Pi-Rat King! :twisted:

I want the loot of the universe coming to me, and me alone! :x

I want... ... ... well everything and I want it NOW! :?

So quit squacking me minions and get a move on! :wink:

Thumper

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#65 Post by utilae »

discord wrote: complex, yes.....but it would be kinda nice to create the need to protect some pretty defenseless vehicles....ahwell, i'll tag along on your idea there.
When I said in space combat there should be dotted lines between planets, star bases, etc. Well these would represent supply routes, or as you see it, defensless vehicles travelling back and forth. Space pirate ships could go close to them and conduct an order called 'raid', which would be destroying cargo ships and taking the supplies.
discord wrote: #1 if so, then cloaking should also make it possible to work totaly undetected(if you limit the amount you steal, so that the viceroys dont catch up so fast, and move on.)
In starcraft you could have stealth units, that you could not see, unless you had buildings or units that were classed as detectors, ie if they were close enough to a stealth unit, then the stealth unit would be visible. You basically had to put detectors at all entry points of your base or phase invisible doom.
discord wrote: #2 you would have to be able to limit the amounts you steal.
Maybe something like every second you take 100 supplies from a supply route. Bu when your ship is full, ie cargo capacity can carry no more, then you can't take anymore supplies. This would mean that bigger ships could take more supplies, or the more free space left on your ship, the more supplies taken. Also the more ships you have, then the more supplies you can take.
discord wrote: #3 hmm, 'support' piracy in other empires? in effect, you pay a small tribute so they do their work elsewhere then your home yard.
Impaler has proposed Pirates as a playable race. You could then strike deals with them, to make them do things for you.
discord wrote: #5 hmm, how would 'cloaking/stealth/ecm' really work? one part would be limiting the range they can detect your ships at, another would be modifiers on to-hit chance....etc.
Or you could realy simplify it, ie stealth units can't be seen, unless right close to your ship, or unless you have a detector/scanner/scout ship. They could also use frequency jamming technologies to stop them from being detected. Then there could be ultra detectors, you would have to stop somewhere though, it depends whether you want to favour stealth or detection.

discord
Space Kraken

#66 Post by discord »

well, as i said, i'd agree to the dotted lines, even if i dont really like it. BUT!

one would have to be able to decide how hard to 'farm' a area, to farm hard and run would be one idea, but you could set up a base camp(cloaked) in a asteroid belt, and farm softly, every now and then(especialy if you add in random piracy/ship loss, so that your activities are not obvious.)

and making scanner/detection range variable is not a tough programing issue, and could make piracy(and everything else) that much more fun.

//discord

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#67 Post by Impaler »

Perhaps a more simplified caluclation of Space Pirate Raiding, They target a particular planet or Station and raid shipments going to and from it.

This could alow raiding to be calculated in a Similar mannor to Blockading, the difference being the amount of good taken as a percentage of the whole. Perhaps their is no difference between the two, raiding would just be like an incomplete blockade (beceuse their are not enough ships). Their are some calculations that weigh the strengths of local forces and number of freiters vs the strength of blockaider/raiders and desided X percentage of the freiters are sunk/looted. Cloaked ships would be HIGHLY effective at blackading (think german U-boats in WWII). So Pirates tend to Deploy small numbers of ships to raid and more powerfull empires have enough ships to completly blockade a planet.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#68 Post by utilae »

If you could see the pirates (ie they attack you) and destroy them it would be cool.

Thumper
Space Kraken

#69 Post by Thumper »

utilae wrote:If you could see the pirates (ie they attack you) and destroy them it would be cool.
Treat them as MoO3 Magnate race(s) with ships instead of planets. And maybe even toss in a pirate world or two for laughs.

Thumper

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#70 Post by Impaler »

They cant be a Magnate race because they are hopefully going to be a Player race (check out my proposal under the Story Board Idea Sink).

I am just saying that Blockading and Raiding are similar activites and can be considered 2 sides of the same mechanism. The player targets a group of ships on a particular planet and desided to either loot, hijack or destroy, or maybe tax the freiters going to that location. The game dose some calculations and desided how many of the freiters get intercepted and suffer the desired fate.

discord
Space Kraken

#71 Post by discord »

well, these 'pirates' could be nomadic? i have said a pretty long time now that everything you can build on a planet, you should be able to build on a large enough ship, so what is there to hinder you from creating a truly 'nomadic' species(well, it does make for some pretty...easily destroyed homeworlds....but HEY!)...a similar system is available for the game 'space empires IV', with the pirates&nomads mod.

a stealthed mothership, wich infact is a mobile deep space station, to operate from....ahwell...might be difficult to game balance.

//discord

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#72 Post by utilae »

Impaler says they would live on asteroids. I said that when they get a specific tech, they should be able to put rockets on the asteroids and then be able to move the asteroids to other star systems.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#73 Post by Impaler »

Yes I like the idea of putting anything planetary into a Ship, but their should be a big cost multiplier to building it in space. (Side note their should also be a big multiplier to build it on a planet that is low quality for your race).

The space Pirates could persuee a mixed strategy of nomadic ships, asteroid bases and maybe a few planets far from the athorities. I see Pirates spreeding themselves out far and wide to avoid keeping all their eggs in one basket. Thy use cloaking tecnology to keep most of their ships and Dwellings and planetary colonies hidden.

Anything is possible realy. Their could also be other Nomadic Races whitch dont steal stuff too.

By the way what do you think of having Raiding/Blockading falling under the same mechanic/straegic/interface area. Basicaly theirs some way to assign some ships to perform intercept freiters and do something nasty to them.

discord
Space Kraken

#74 Post by discord »

impaler: raiding/blockading could very well work under the 'same' math formulas....since it's actualy just the scale wich differs the two....

//discord

Thumper
Space Kraken

#75 Post by Thumper »

discord wrote:impaler: raiding/blockading could very well work under the 'same' math formulas....since it's actualy just the scale wich differs the two....

//discord
One issue... Ships without weapons should never be allowed to raid/blockaed a system, or block a colony ship from landing.

Thumper