Race Techs

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#46 Post by Daveybaby »

Youre probably right - i think the main problem was the way it was set up with civ3 and its rigid tech tree - not having access to a certain resource at the right time could just kill your game.
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#47 Post by marhawkman »

Hmm... I see your point but if you have no weapons then you can still steal enemy ships by boarding. :p

I like the idea of having the theoretical stuff not require anything special(like say a supply of Muonium). But it'd be good to have research into specific items(eg Zento Lasers) require special resources(in this case Zentonite). The way I'm currently visualizing it the theories would form the trunk and branches of the tech tree, and have applications as the leaves. Maybe have a few extremely generic techs as part of the branches.
Computer programming is fun.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#48 Post by Impaler »

Perhaps MoO1 will again act as an example. In any random game your might get only half or less of the weapons in a particular catagory like Missles for example, their were about a dozen total missle types and of thouse you always had a few. Some times that first missle tech wouldn't apear for some time and you were using the pathetic Nuclear missle for a long time (forcing a change in strategy) but eventualy would get a desent missle, you were never perminently screwed.

Along the same line of though you could the refinment of a technology have gaps. So for example a player gets Laser Mk 2, 5 and 6 rather then all of them. Then still need to research then from lowest to highest.

Also keep in mind that things that you should consider something "essential" only if your empire simply will not function without it and theirs no work-around. For example if you got bad Fuel cell tech and their are no habitable planets in range you can still use a large hull and put in Reserve tanks to get around the problem. Also consider that your oponents are going to be screwed over in their own ways balincing the punishment and providing weaknesses you can exploit.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#49 Post by marhawkman »

Well.... I'd add things that require awkward difficult to implement work arounds too. Like in MoO2, factory techs aren't really "essential" but they make life ALOT better, so much better that it's hard to work without them.
Computer programming is fun.