Policy Name Change

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

rallytoshelly
Space Floater

Policy Name Change

#1 Post by rallytoshelly »

Simple proposal: Change name of "Black Markets" to "Informal Markets"

* "Black Market" is a term that is capitalism-centric and has a negative connotation while there are legitimate usages and strategies for informal markets
* The term "Black Market" has a bit of a racist connotation
* In some parts of the world, "Informal Markets" has started to gain common usage in place of the term "Black Markets"

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Policy Name Change

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

rallytoshelly wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:53 am* "Black Market" is a term that is capitalism-centric
How so? Capitalism is neither unique in having nor unique in not having regulation of trade or avoidance of that regulation.
...and has a negative connotation while there are legitimate usages and strategies for informal markets
Since FreeOrion provides a government policy for it, I'm not sure what your point is re: there being legitimate uses. A player or empire adopting such a policy would seemingly agree that it's useful. The palette of policies intentionally does not pass or imply judgement on the utility of any of its contents.
* The term "Black Market" has a bit of a racist connotation
Citation needed. As far as I'm aware, this use of "black" is not a reference to any particular group of people.
* In some parts of the world, "Informal Markets" has started to gain common usage in place of the term "Black Markets"
"Informal" markets seems more to imply the lack of structure or regulation, rather than the avoidance of compliance with them. The Black Markets policy is intended to represent the establishment of unofficial unregulated / underground markets within society, perhaps to allow the "official" policy of the government to be different from the reality of how the economy functions, such as to let the politicians or other leadership make pandering / populist official policy without actually effectively imposing their restrictions on the real economy.

Grummel7
Space Dragon

#3 Post by Grummel7 »

Well, both black market and informal market mean the same and definitely refer to something unofficial. Which means that they are indeed both rather odd names for an official government policy. Which doesn't mean I know a good name for it.

What does it do? Somehow luxury resources are used to create influence on unstable planets. Perhaps they are used to bribe would-be rebellion leaders into using their influence in favor of the empire. "Bribed Influencers" maybe?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by LienRag »

Underground markets then ?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Grummel7 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:17 pmodd names for an official government policy.
The policies are how the government and society actually run, not how they "officially" run.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#6 Post by Daybreak »

I don't care one way or another what it is called.

I do point out that it obviously affected one person, enough to come here and post about it.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by Oberlus »

Underground Markets sounds as good as black markets for the meaning, so +1 for that change.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#8 Post by Daybreak »

If I had to choose

Underground Economy or markets
Shadow Economy or markets
Clandestine market

Soucre: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_market

I don't like informal markets much, as it does not mean anything to me, as much as black markets, but assume it depends on where you come from.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#9 Post by Ophiuchus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:41 pm
Grummel7 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:17 pmodd names for an official government policy.
The policies are how the government and society actually run, not how they "officially" run.
i guess "policy" is the misnomer here?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#10 Post by Krikkitone »

Ophiuchus wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:47 am
Geoff the Medio wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:41 pm
i guess "policy" is the misnomer here?
Maybe they could be renamed “institutions” something more society in general and less government.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#11 Post by LienRag »

Note that a Policy of informal economy could be interesting per se, even if it has nothing to do with Black/Underground markets...