plus and minus and … what else

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: plus and minus and … what else

#16 Post by Ophiuchus »

Cant we use a fixed width font for such cases?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#17 Post by Geoff the Medio »

not easily

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#18 Post by wobbly »

stpa wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:55 pm but tell me how this looks?
Like 2 little eyes in the dark, a grue perhaps? :)
It's fine by me. Might be hard to see with bad eye sight, though if blank works then that's still ok. I prefer the o or the diamond suggested by Geoff.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#19 Post by Ophiuchus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:13 am not easily
or is it feasable to switch fonts/enabling some more characters?

With the given options:
The "no-difference-from-usual" average should be unobstructive to the eye. The "o" bullet is too big.
The diamond makes my brain stumble, + is good, - is bad, diamond is ?.. dunno girls best friends? a card option?

So I guess I like the grue eyes best as they are the least obstructive

Anyway structure/spacing is king, so e.g. diamond is also acceptable.

one nitpick: Doing layout by relying on glyph size in a certain font and font size is ugly/prone to fail. With the advantage of total ignorance of cost in build speed and download size, I think the pedia should use a minimal html layout engine with css support (godot client hopefully supports that?). If we had such a representation we could also simply render a pedia webpage to put on the web for reference when you dont have access to the game/or code (also getting more eyes on the pedia contents).

edit1: with the current implementation let us add a (small) bullet glyph with the right width to the font like 0uaz did last time (https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/2801). Much better looks. And not worse a hack as misusing glyphs. Dunno what linux distributions do though - we already have the customized font so we are not creating a new problem(?).
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

stpa
Space Kraken

#20 Post by stpa »

copyright shmoogle? well whatever … i'll try adding a glyph
Attachments
copyright-shmoogle-questionmark.png
copyright-shmoogle-questionmark.png (102.25 KiB) Viewed 637 times

stpa
Space Kraken

#21 Post by stpa »

it's a workin – am now takin orders 4 nu glyphs plz ;) … though i'd like to have that shmoogle© thing cleared up before i'd push changes of that font
Attachments
it's-a-workin--now-takin-orders-4-nu-glyphs....png
it's-a-workin--now-takin-orders-4-nu-glyphs....png (1.44 MiB) Viewed 632 times

Geoff the Medio

#22 Post by Geoff the Medio »

that shmoogle© thing
Not sure what you mean...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#23 Post by Oberlus »

Are there copyright issues?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#24 Post by Ophiuchus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:45 am
that shmoogle© thing
Not sure what you mean...
i think he meant because roboto is originally from google. (showed the copyright notice screenshot)
but it is apache license, so distributing derivatives is legitimate.
hm. actually we should write somewhere that we changed the fonts if dont do that already. (looking at the github page https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Roboto there is no NOTICE text).

from apache 2 license, emphasis mine:
  • You must give any other recipients of the Work or Derivative Works a copy of this License; and
  • You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices stating that You changed the files; and
  • You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works that You distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices from the Source form of the Work, excluding those notices that do not pertain to any part of the Derivative Works; and
  • If the Work includes a "NOTICE" text file as part of its distribution, then any Derivative Works that You distribute must include a readable copy of the attribution notices contained within such NOTICE file, excluding those notices that do not pertain to any part of the Derivative Works, in at least one of the following places: within a NOTICE text file distributed as part of the Derivative Works; within the Source form or documentation, if provided along with the Derivative Works; or, within a display generated by the Derivative Works, if and wherever such third-party notices normally appear. The contents of the NOTICE file are for informational purposes only and do not modify the License. You may add Your own attribution notices within Derivative Works that You distribute, alongside or as an addendum to the NOTICE text from the Work, provided that such additional attribution notices cannot be construed as modifying the License.

stpa
Space Kraken

#25 Post by stpa »

okay the very most prominent place that comes to mind would be the same place where i found that notice. so i'll put this in the pullrequest as well, if we there are no veto's against the diamond operator?
fontforge - open file - element - file info.png
fontforge - open file - element - file info.png (74.65 KiB) Viewed 603 times

stpa
Space Kraken

#26 Post by stpa »

darn … +2.0 on the YEARS meter

Geoff the Medio

#27 Post by Geoff the Medio »

"freeOrion" isn't a legal entity so far as I'm aware. A modified font file is copyright (or left?) and released by you.

stpa
Space Kraken

#28 Post by stpa »

seems okay then, no entity, no copyright.. no problem. i omit my own name there in that notice, but i am in the commit history should the pullrequest be deemed pullworthy, so .. if you want, i can change it again.

Geoff the Medio

#29 Post by Geoff the Medio »

stpa wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:44 pmno copyright
To be clear, there is copyright involved. You're licensing the font from Google under the Apache 2 license, modifying it, and then re-releasing it youself the same license. Apparently Apache 2 can't be re-released under CC-BY-SA 3.0, so I guess that's why we put the font LICENSE file in there as well.

stpa
Space Kraken

#30 Post by stpa »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:12 amhm. actually we should write somewhere that we changed the fonts if dont do that already.
agreed, seeing as how they had been modified already … should we open a ticket;? but on the third hand, i suppose as long as a copy of that apache license is somewhere to be found or at least linked in the bundeled release app and together with that updated version number, that would count as fullfilling at least the spirit of those terms and conditions.