Likes and dislikes for species?

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Likes and dislikes for species?

#31 Post by LienRag »

All this just because one misclicked on the wrong Colony Building a few turns before ?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#32 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Ophiuchus wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:07 pm
Oberlus wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:05 pm You could wait for a sitrep telling you evacuation failed, or check out Objects Window, show current and target pop, order by species...
sitrep (evacuees have no place to go) would work well I think
The Evacuate Planet building could require there to be a viable evacuation location to be producible, or to take effect once produced.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#33 Post by Ophiuchus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:29 pm The Evacuate Planet building could require there to be a viable evacuation location to be producible, or to take effect once produced.
Not showing the evacuate building when there is no suitable location sounds reasonable.

Regardless of this. I'd think the intention would be rather to evacuate. So rather warn that this is not happening instead of having evacuation silently failing. If you queue the building in a few turns before it actually happens is fine (as a planning tool) and the player can simply ignore the sitrep for that time. (one scenario: you queue evacuation to send people to a new colony while the colony ship is still on its way)
Last edited by Ophiuchus on Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#34 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:19 pm All this just because one misclicked on the wrong Colony Building a few turns before ?
For that you can reload a few turn before.
If it is a multiplayer, pay more attention or ask for ways to make such mistakes less easy, because that must not be fixed through pseudo-broken mechanics.
In MOO2 you could not annihilate populations if you were Democracy, but you could transport unwanted species to filled-up worlds for them to die upon arrival, hence circunventing that intended drawback of democracy. We've had such think here in FO and we can get rid of it. If the only reson to not do so is for you to quickly depopulate a mistakenly populated planet, that would be quite lame, don't you think?

stpa
Space Kraken

#35 Post by stpa »

i have read a little further in the thread than this quote, but all the extermination talk following that makes for not much fun ..
Oberlus wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:46 pm Species should have less likes and dislikes in general.
Then, having one or two liked/disliked species per species, with some tips to remember (Laenfa dislike Gysache because Gysache eats plants), doesn't seem too much.
anyway i propose a general change to the likes and dislikes and to all of them: make explanations mandatory, not just for species-(dis)likes but for policies and speciels and everything else. change data structure so they explicitly require an explanation text, change how its displayed in pedia from comma separated linked list to smth more like this example:

Code: Select all

likes = [
        "BLD_LIGHTHOUSE"          WHY_KHAKTURIAN_LIKE_BLD_LIGHTHOUSE          // "if there were a greenhouse they would like that too"
        "BLD_STOCKPILING_CENTER"  WHY_KHAKTURIAN_LIKE_BLD_STOCKPILING_CENTER  // "why, to store all the seeds for the next rainy season of course"
        "FOCUS_GROWTH"            WHY_KHAKTURIAN_LIKE_FOCUS_GROWTH            // "what else would a plant want?"
        "FOCUS_PROTECTION"        WHY_KHAKTURIAN_LIKE_FOCUS_PROTECTION        // "yep, that one too.. happily bristling with thorns, soaking sun, la la la"
        "HEAD_ON_A_SPIKE_SPECIAL" WHY_KHAKTURIAN_LIKE_HEAD_ON_A_SPIKE_SPECIAL // "we likes the spikes"
        "PLC_POPULATION"          WHY_KHAKTURIAN_LIKE_PLC_POPULATION          // "grow, grow, grow your load, gently down the .."
        "TIDAL_LOCK_SPECIAL"      WHY_KHAKTURIAN_LIKE_TIDAL_LOCK_SPECIAL      // "eternal daylight yeah! nightsiders? not a problem for us prickly plants we got no blood"
    ]
-->

Code: Select all

Interstellar Lighthouse - reason: if there were a greenhouse they would like that too
    Imperial Entanglement Center - reason: why, to store all the seeds for the next rainy season of course
    Growth - reason: what else would a plant want?
    Protection - reason: yep, that one too.. happily bristling with thorns, soaking sun, la la la
    Head on a Spike - reason: we likes the spikes
    Population - reason: grow, grow, grow your load, gently down the ..
    Tidally Locked Rotation - reason: eternal daylight yeah! nightsiders? not a problem for us prickly plants we got no blood
just a thought. i'll try and read on in the thread..

stpa
Space Kraken

#36 Post by stpa »

Oberlus wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:08 pm
Ophiuchus wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:44 am Still does not fit Trith. They want extermination camps, but fluff wise the gains of those should be low.
I don't like changing species to exobot, sounds... weird (except if you mean letting one population die and be replaced by newly built exobots). If so, one could prefer to change species to another species (capital species probably).
beware little ones you of below legal age, do not read on without your parents permission, we could just have a sex bot tech and introduce the (don't date the) robots to some planet and let the population die off naturally and happily over some longer period like 10 or 20ish turns without procreation but lots of happifying sex drones. and in the end only exobots remain when they peel off their sexy shells.

edit; this would probably not work for all of the species where something in their backstory explains why they would be immune to the allure of extinction by sex bot

edit again; lets call em (s)exobots ^.^ maybe

stpa
Space Kraken

#37 Post by stpa »

i was trying to introduce species likes and dislikes effects as discussed somewhere briefly in this thread. .. and i noticed some strange errors, which lead me to believe that SP_LEMBALALAM species definition file does not reference the BASIC_POPULATION macro which i'll go ahead and fix in an upcoming pr.

edit; attaching screenshot of proposed fix.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-11 um 14.28.00.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-11 um 14.28.00.png (449.99 KiB) Viewed 657 times

Geoff the Medio

#38 Post by Geoff the Medio »

stpa wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:26 pmSP_LEMBALALAM species definition file does not reference the BASIC_POPULATION macro
This is probably intentional, see: https://www.freeorion.org/forum/viewtop ... 795#p84795

stpa
Space Kraken

#39 Post by stpa »

i can not find explicit mentioning of the basic_population macro there although i get the idea and had read at least their pedia page.

i still think this may be some sort of bug or overlooking – these are the lines that will come in with the proposed fix:

[[FOCUS_CHANGE_PENALTY]]
[[ADVANCED_FOCUS_EFFECTS]]
[[STANDARD_CONSTRUCTION]]
[[STANDARD_METER_GROWTH]]
[[SPECIES_LIKES_OR_DISLIKES_SPECIES_STABILITY_EFFECTS]]

of those only the last is really new written by me, and i did not find the focus change penalty or other things in their species file. and must confess i do not recall ever conquering them in a game in the wild and not really having tested if there is something off about their changing focus. i've started to play a game recently with those changes. it's at least as playable as normal master is as well, all pedia pages i looked at seem to work as expected, havent come across them on the map yet though.

and i think i'm slowly getting the hang of those new policies and influence and governance ^.^ and gonna give it a try introducing one or two new policies concerning field or monster effects in that pr

Geoff the Medio

#40 Post by Geoff the Medio »

stpa wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:53 pm i can not find explicit mentioning of the basic_population macro there
No growth effects is consistent with:
Sloth wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:51 am Lembala'Lam

Egocentric, degenerated ancient reptiles that no longer reproduce.
stpa wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:53 pm gonna give it a try introducing one or two new policies concerning field or monster effects in that pr
Try to not put too much, especially too much unrelated stuff, into a single pull request.

stpa
Space Kraken

#41 Post by stpa »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:04 pm No growth effects is consistent with:
Sloth wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:51 am Lembala'Lam

Egocentric, degenerated ancient reptiles that no longer reproduce.
i am copy pasting the following comments from the respective macros which would be quite general in nature and not only concerning the population meter as i understand it:

FOCUS_CHANGE_PENALTY
''' // penalize changing focus by reducing the non-focused resource meters on the turns after the focus change.
// these effects reduce the non-focused resource meters by 2 on the turn after a focus change.
// eg. if changing to industry focus, if the new research target is 10 and the research is 20, research will
// be reduced by 2 to 18. If research is 11, then it will be only reduced to the target (10).

ADVANCED_FOCUS_EFFECTS - alas, this has no comments but contains goodies such as FOCUS_PLANET_DRIVE and FOCUS_DISTORTION and FOCUS_STARGATE_RECEIVE

STANDARD_CONSTRUCTION
// increase or decrease towards target meter, when not recently conquered
// always ensure minimum value of one, as this is necessary for being attacked

STANDARD_METER_GROWTH
// increase or decrease towards target meter of planets, when not recently conquered
// increase or decrease towards target meter of ships
// removes residual production from a dead planet

Geoff the Medio wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:04 pm
stpa wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:53 pm gonna give it a try introducing one or two new policies concerning field or monster effects in that pr
Try to not put too much, especially too much unrelated stuff, into a single pull request.
aye.