Auto upgrade colony and parts

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Auto upgrade colony and parts

#1 Post by wobbly »

Ophiuchus wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:12 am
truepurple wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:37 pmAnd once you get 3 pop colony tech, it should apply to all new and existing ship, no special module for it, also to converted from outposts colonys would also start that way.
I think i agree. It is certainly more user friendly/less shocking - also good for ship design (no redoing of all your colony ship designs). Note that "converted from outposts colonys" already start that way (i.e. 3 pop).

Some might object to the "stockpiling" part of that mechanism (people building lots of colony ships and holding of colonisation, waiting for the turn after the tech is researched.

We could ease that incentive by giving all small colonies a one-time boost (+1 pop for colonies <3 pop, +2 pop for colonies < 2 pop), - but it is hard to explain fluff-wise.
If you open up a dedicated thread for this topic like "Get rid of cryo colony part" we could proceed.
I doubt its a problem, or if it is it already is? It's normal to delay a colony built on an outpost a turn or 2 if it would come down just before you research the tech.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: I recommend we disable species moving for much greater game simplicity and reduced micromanagement.

#2 Post by Ophiuchus »

wobbly wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:41 am
Ophiuchus wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:12 am Some might object to the "stockpiling" part of that mechanism (people building lots of colony ships and holding of colonisation, waiting for the turn after the tech is researched.

We could ease that incentive by giving all small colonies a one-time boost (+1 pop for colonies <3 pop, +2 pop for colonies < 2 pop), - but it is hard to explain fluff-wise.
I doubt its a problem, or if it is it already is? It's normal to delay a colony built on an outpost a turn or 2 if it would come down just before you research the tech.
You are right, it already is. For me that is unnecessary micro. Not an interesting decision. The only situation I can imagine that there is actually a decision instead of a no-brainer is when you are forced to colonize earlier because you risk your supply lines being cut off or you want the defense to climb earlier. We should give the one-time boost regardless of the cryo part I guess.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: I recommend we disable species moving for much greater game simplicity and reduced micromanagement.

#3 Post by Oberlus »

Then the same should happen for the troops ship parts?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#4 Post by Ophiuchus »

truepurple wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:37 pm Plus you can't obsolete ship lines because you can never know when you might need the older line nearer to where you need the ship that you can't spare resources building its special structures for.
you can un-obsolete a part or ship design when you find out later that you need it
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#5 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:56 am Then the same should happen for the troops ship parts?
Very similar but also different mostly. Troops are about combat and not colonisation and the colony pods have the same cost while the troop pods are actually double the price. I have situations where I mix troop parts, but I wouldn't mind loosing that. Also depending on implementation there is a surprise factor involved (suddenly enemy ships double their troop values).

Also for building on outposts the upgrade process is already stockpily (you invest 99% of the PP and then wait some turns for the tech).

We talked about troop pods three years ago https://www.freeorion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10865&p=91455&hilit=part+upgrade#p91455. This led LGM-Doyle to implement the ability to obsolete ship parts and ship hulls PR-1972.
edit1: wow, I did not know about ctrl-drag mass part exchange feature

I think for colony pods it is different enough to warrant a separate discussion. If we had a topic, I cant find it.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#6 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:56 am Then the same should happen for the troops ship parts?
Could you move the posts starting from viewtopic.php?p=107405#p107405 to its own topic please? E.g. "Auto upgrade colony and parts"

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Auto upgrade colony and parts

#7 Post by Ophiuchus »

Any objections?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by LienRag »

Last time I checked the Cryonic Colony was more costly than the Colony Pod, so would auto-upgrade keep the old Colony Pod cost (I'm okay with that, better reason to research the tech) or put all new parts at the Cryonic cost ?
In the later case, it would be better to keep the cheaper part available...

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#9 Post by Ophiuchus »

LienRag wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:59 am Last time I checked the Cryonic Colony was more costly than the Colony Pod
I doubt this, must have been before 2017 ;)

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#10 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:02 pm
LienRag wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:59 am Last time I checked the Cryonic Colony was more costly than the Colony Pod
I doubt this, must have been before 2017 ;)
They have same buildcost but the basic one has buildtime 8 and the cryonic has 10.
I don't see a problem making both 8.