New ship part: Distributed Electronic Warfare

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

jinlanid
Space Squid

New ship part: Distributed Electronic Warfare

#1 Post by jinlanid »

Low level part:
Part type: Internal
Condition: Must have a friendly planet in the same system that have level 1 stealthy (planet stealthy +20).
Effect: If a ship has this part has entered a system that have a friendly planet have level 1 stealthy, then NEXT TURN, the whole fleet can get stealthy +10 (number adjustable).

High level part:
Part type: Core
Condition: Must have a friendly planet in the same system that have level 2 stealthy (planet stealthy +40).
Effect: If a ship has this part has entered a system that have a friendly planet have level 2 stealthy, then NEXT TURN, the whole fleet can get stealthy +20 (number adjustable).

Why:
What about introduce a "defensive preparation" for this game? So you can use some small fleet in the right position and right time to get some big advantage.
Last edited by jinlanid on Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: New ship part: Distributed Electronic Warfare

#2 Post by Oberlus »

I like it.
It is situational (only working on systems with owned or allied planets with a minimum planetary stealth) and it is only defensive so it can't be used to embitter unprepared players by suprise conquest. Plays well with empires that base their defense on planetary stealth. If the stealth bonus for the ship is not gained next turn but from first turn, it could be used to give some extra stealth to scouts and colony ships that are produced in blockaded systems (that happens to me a lot with Sly against AI).

jinlanid
Space Squid

#3 Post by jinlanid »

If you like it, maybe we can make some trait or special for "Greater E-warfare" or "Bad E-Warfare".

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by LienRag »

I'd need to test it (preferably in multiplayer) to really understand its consequences.
Right now I'm not sure that encouraging big piles of defending ships would be good for the game...

Stealth is most interesting as a maneuvering opportunity, not as a combat bonus.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:59 pm I'd need to test it (preferably in multiplayer) to really understand its consequences.
Right now I'm not sure that encouraging big piles of defending ships would be good for the game...

Stealth is most interesting as a maneuvering opportunity, not as a combat bonus.
It doesn't encourage big piles, not more than any other mechanic.
Ambushes are interesting by themselves.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by LienRag »

It does encourage defense though.

Ambushes are more interesting imho if you need to carefully plan for them than if you just have to stock ships on your planets...

I'm not really against the idea, as I said I have trouble really understanding how it will play, I'm just a bit wary that Jinlanid does too without realizing it.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by LienRag »

jinlanid wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:20 am What about introduce a "defensive preparation" for this game? So you can use some small fleet in the right position and right time to get some big advantage.
Actually, that part is the most interesting imho.

It's a no-brainer in own Empire but setting carefully crafted ambushes in outer space would be highly strategic.
Maybe +1 stealth per (stacking) ship part per turn not moving nor fighting ?
Limited at a total of 150 I guess.
Any fight would reduce stealth by 10 per turn (is it possible to have a reduction per round of combat ?), and if the ship is damaged then its stealth is reduced to 0.

Maybe I should change my Hydroplasmic Hull to work that way ? And add a "Planet ambush" military Policy in order to activate this stealth bonus ?

I'm talking about giving the bonus only to the bearing ship, to be clear, not to the whole fleet as the original post intended.