Idea: starlane disruption

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

Idea: starlane disruption

#1 Post by ThinkSome »

Idea: a new ship part called starlane disruption generator. When activated, it would disable starlane travel of every ship in range of 100uu for a turn, but would destroy the ship carrying it. This would be a way to force battle and prevent a fleet from running away.

Technology upgrades would increase the range and the number of turns that the effect persists.

However, I'm not entirely sure on how to make the friendly fleet chaser the enemy one when all starlanes are disrupted.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Idea: starlane disruption

#2 Post by Oberlus »

ThinkSome wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:03 amI'm not entirely sure on how to make the friendly fleet chaser the enemy one when all starlanes are disrupted.
I don't understand this part.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by wobbly »

He wants the enemy ships frozen and allied ships able to move I believe.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by wobbly »

Alternatively it'd work if your interference ship flanks the target leaving your attack force out of range.

No opinion on the idea itself, yet.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

Alternative (not sure I like it): planetary focus "starlane disruption", makes ships in the same system unable to locate exit starlanes (can't move away from the system), but doesn't disallow other ships to travel to this system. Less micromanagy and easier implementations than with ship parts. No tech refinements. Unlocked by some mid/late game tech like Gravitonics.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

So the converse of the Spatial Distortion Generator, that pulls ships in instead of pushing them away?

ThinkSome
Psionic Snowflake

#7 Post by ThinkSome »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:00 am
ThinkSome wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:03 amI'm not entirely sure on how to make the friendly fleet chaser the enemy one when all starlanes are disrupted.
I don't understand this part.
wobbly wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:22 am He wants the enemy ships frozen and allied ships able to move I believe.
Yes.

Flanking is an option, including fitting such a part on cloakers and using them in close proximity. Or perhaps make such a part also auto-activate pre-combat?

Perhaps also for it to not affect friendly ships because "they know the starlane disruption frequencies yaddi yadda".