New species trait: hull engineers

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: New species trait: hull engineers

#16 Post by LienRag »

Oh, also if repair mechanisms are entirely rewritten (right now advanced research makes drydocking obsolete, especially since Drydocks do not fully repair big ships), having another trait "good/bad repairmen" would be interesting too.

labgnome
Juggernaut

#17 Post by labgnome »

LienRag wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:55 pm Nice !
Is there a way to make them specific to one Hull Line ?
Like Abbadonni being very good at reinforcing Asteroid Hull structures and Setinon good with Organic Hulls ?
Only if we want to make it overly-complex and restrictive for players.
LienRag wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:55 pm It's not KISS to have both flat boni AND percentage boni for general-purpose species, but for Hull-lines specific traits it seems to me that it's possible to have the Organic-tied traits give flat boni and some others have percentage boni ?
I would disagree, the flat and percentage boni are supposed to be the same proportions, so they are effectively the same.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#18 Post by Oberlus »

I'm hell bent for percentage bonus:

Small hulls are have less structure than big hulls but are also cheaper. So you can do many small ships or few big ships for roughly the same gain from the hull engineers trait.
It does not force the player to go for any specific hull line or size of ship within eace hull line. That is intended.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#19 Post by LienRag »

Indeed.
It can also be intended otherwise, provoking a different gameplay by encouraging different fleet designs in different games.
This is especially true for non-playable species I reckon (having a small bonus by collecting a Native specie and knowing beforehand that it will work better with a precise fleet composition strategy is a thing, being constrained in one's fleet design by the specie one starts with is a different thing and I agree it's not that interesting).
Also, flat boni would work very differently for Engineers and for Armorsmiths : for Engineers it would be a game-long nudge to use smaller ships, for Armorsmiths a balance change for a small portion of the game (inciting to make the most militarily of that portion of the game, which can be interesting for gameplay, but also not something very balanced for generic playable species).

I agree with labgnome's objection that tying pilot/engineering/fuel/shields/armor traits
to specific hull lines would be too constrained for generic playable species (though having some fringe species that one can play with if one wants to play a specific hull line may make for varied gameplay), but as above I think that this should be interesting for Native species.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#20 Post by Oberlus »

Oberlus wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:59 am To be decided if it should affect only the base structure of the hull or also the base structure of the armour parts.
Thanks to the above discussion I think the best option is to make it affect combined structure of the final ship design.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

New Armoured Species

#21 Post by Daybreak »

New species that increase armour, maybe called Ankylo after the Ankylosaurus dinosaur

New species increase armour on ships by 20% (Note this is an arbitrary number - devs may feel another amount is better), and maybe have good troops by 125% (taking into account Ugmors 150% and Egassem).

see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12354&sid=d92190fc9 ... caef270afa

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#22 Post by Oberlus »

Daybreak, I think what you suggest here (that I moved to this thread) is already covered by the suggestion in this thread.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#23 Post by Daybreak »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:26 am Daybreak, I think what you suggest here (that I moved to this thread) is already covered by the suggestion in this thread.
true or nearly true. I did not want to make it as complicated, but by being a little more broader in the way you have implemented it, does allow for more varied species.

I give it my vote.