Empire surrendering (concede) mechanics

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Empire surrendering (concede) mechanics

#1 Post by Oberlus »

I couldn't find a previous dedicated thread for this subject, but point me out if I'm wrong to move this post wherever it fits better.

L29Ah has raised in the sixth multiplayer slow-game the following concern:

A player conceding so that his empire banishes before being taking by his winning enemy (because the conceding player is in an alliance and does want to favour them, or because he got disheartened and does not want to keep playing, or whatever) leaves the winning empire with a very bad taste in the mouth: you invested in armed ships and troopers, took some blows, and in the end you get nothing, no colonies to invade, not even outposts. Other empires then could be in advantage, e.g. if they focused on peaceful expansion and/or research, unmolested while the others were fighting, or if they were conquering players that didn't concede.

I agree with L29Ah on that current mechanics sucks hard sometimes.

Alternative suggested by Magnate:

Turn it into natives (no AI) with some scripted, simple behaviour like setting all colonies to defence focus and queueing some small armed ships ad eternum (no research, unless the automatic one if that exists). Then the invading empire still needs to invest some effort into conquering the remaining colonies (if it wasn't imminent before conceding) and there is something to conquer from his military efforts.

If a player still wants to leave nothing to his enemy, he can spam concentrations camps everywhere and scrap all buildings. If the invading empire is not fast enough, he will only get outposts, but outposts are already a valuable asset.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Empire surrendering (concede) mechanics

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

What happens to an empire's assets when conceding could / should be a game rule.

labgnome
Juggernaut

#3 Post by labgnome »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:49 pmAlternative suggested by Magnate:

Turn it into natives (no AI) with some scripted, simple behaviour like setting all colonies to defence focus and queueing some small armed ships ad eternum (no research, unless the automatic one if that exists). Then the invading empire still needs to invest some effort into conquering the remaining colonies (if it wasn't imminent before conceding) and there is something to conquer from his military efforts.
So I have an alternative suggestion:
They turn into natives but instead of a scripted behavior, they get the high-tech natives special. That still preserves the extra effort to conquer, but is I think a simpler solution.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:02 am What happens to an empire's assets when conceding could / should be a game rule.
Do you mean we should specify the different options we could have, to be controlled by game rules?

The options I forsee:

Empire:
  1. banishes.
  2. turns into AI (only if not an AI conceding and server allows it).
  3. stays and does nothing (can autoturn advance be (FOCS-)scripted to an unmanned empire?), can be overtaken by a new player later.
Populations:
  1. banish (if the Empire does not stay).
  2. stay.
(Unpopulated) Colonies and outposts:
  1. reverts to unowned planet (if Empire does not stay and populations banish).
  2. become native (if Empire does not stay and populations does no banish) and gets some special to increase defensive strength.
  3. stay (if the unmaned or newly-AI-controlled Empire stays).
Buildings:
  1. banish.
  2. stay.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:24 pmDo you mean we should specify the different options we could have, to be controlled by game rules?
Yes.
can autoturn advance be (FOCS-)scripted to an unmanned empire?
That would be an AI scripting issue, not a FOCS (content) script issue.