collecting ideas for new fields

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

The Silent One
Graphics

Re: collecting ideas for new fields

#16 Post by The Silent One »

LienRag wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:32 pm My laborious efforts with GIMP were not very successful in producing graphics that are both distinctive enough and blending well with the general Galaxy graphics, but I don't believe that I can do better.

I do believe that at least the Comet Cloud is strategically interesting, though.
How's that for comet clouds (needs some touching up):
Attachments
comet_clouds.png
comet_clouds.png (752.64 KiB) Viewed 3367 times
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#17 Post by LienRag »

Looks nice, thanks.
I'll have to test it in a real galaxy though.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#18 Post by LienRag »

It looks indeed quite nice on the Galaxy map, but the black background produces some weird effects...
Attachments
black comet.png
black comet.png (840.22 KiB) Viewed 3348 times

The Silent One
Graphics

#19 Post by The Silent One »

Touched up version with transparent background.
Attachments
comet_clouds.png
comet_clouds.png (3.32 MiB) Viewed 3335 times
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#20 Post by LienRag »

Thanks !
I can't test it right now because the Comet Cloud I had in the last screenshot disappeared (and I didn't keep a save file) but it should do the trick.

BTW I see from your first post that you have more unused Field graphics ?
Could you please post them there so I can try them with the various fields I created ?

And if you dabble with other graphics than Fields, I would need some icons too...

Also, if I may, I find your graphics for Nanite Swarms and Meteor Storm a bit too dense. Did you experiment with sparser ones ?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#21 Post by LienRag »

So, a new one appeared in my test game, and indeed it looks quite nice.

Also it allowed me to test that it works, and it does.

So, now that we have a functioning FOCS file and a good graphic for the Comet Cloud Field, I believe that it should be included in the test version of the game.

The Silent One
Graphics

#22 Post by The Silent One »

LienRag wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:55 pmCould you please post them there so I can try them with the various fields I created ?
No, don't wanna use graphics I'm n ot content with. But I can make new ones, at least for some of your suggested fields.
LienRag wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:55 pmAnd if you dabble with other graphics than Fields, I would need some icons too...
I should be more active again soon, but then I'll first focus on the makeshift icons that are in the game already. After that, we will see.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#23 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The Silent One wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:07 am...I'll first focus on the makeshift icons that are in the game already.
Please do...
policy icons
policy icons
policy icons.png (336.54 KiB) Viewed 3300 times

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#24 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:59 pm Electromagnetic Fog
Something to disable/hinder fighters but not guns with the rationale that fighter maneuvering/comunnication/organisation is crippled.
I think this one is very interesting strategically...

Here's the FOCS code (I'll test it later I guess) :

Code: Select all

FieldType
    name = "FLD_ELECTROMAGNETIC_FOG"
    description = "FLD_ELECTROMAGNETIC_FOG_DESC"
    stealth = 0.01
    tags = [ "EXOTIC" ]
    effectsgroups = [

EffectsGroup    // move around
            scope = Source
            effects = [
                SetSpeed value = 19
                MoveTowards speed = Source.Speed/2.7 x = UniverseCentreX y = UniverseCentreY
                MoveInOrbit speed = Source.Speed/1.5 x = UniverseCentreX y = UniverseCentreY
            ]

EffectsGroup    // grow size when young
            scope = Source
            activation = And [
                (Source.Age <= max((UniverseWidth ^ 1.1) / 50, 20))
                Size high = 60
            ]
            effects = SetSize value = Value + min(max(Value * RandomNumber(0.05, 0.1), 1.0), 5.0)

EffectsGroup    // shrink size when old
            scope = Source
            activation = (Source.Age >= max((UniverseWidth ^ 1.1) / 50, 20))
            effects = SetSize value = Value - min(max(Value * RandomNumber(0.05, 0.1), 1.0), 5.0)

EffectsGroup    // prevents launch of Fighters
            scope = And [
                Ship
		Armed
                Or [
		    DesignHasPart name = "FT_HANGAR_1"
                    DesignHasPart name = "FT_HANGAR_2"
                    DesignHasPart name = "FT_HANGAR_3"
                    DesignHasPart name = "FT_HANGAR_4"
                ]
                WithinDistance distance = Source.Size * 0.9 condition = Source
            ]

effects = SetMaxCapacity partname = "FT_BAY_1" value = 0

EffectsGroup    // after reaching a certain age, dissipate when small
            scope = Source
            activation = And [
                (Source.Age >= 10)
                Size high = 10
            ]
            effects = Destroy

]
    graphic = "fields/comets_cloud.png"
As usual, I don't really know what values would be good for the Move Around and Size effects group.

I like the idea of disabling completely fighters, but just reducing by one the Launch Bay capacity could be interesting too.
Maybe have another field that has this effect (reducing by one) combined with other effects ?
I wonder if having another field that adds one to the Launch Bay capacity could be strategically interesting ?

I don't have a graphic for it, I just re-used the one given by The Silent One above for now.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#25 Post by Ophiuchus »

LienRag wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:44 pm I wonder if having another field that adds one to the Launch Bay capacity could be strategically interesting ?
No, on itself a field is too random for basing your ship designs on. It very maybe could be strategically interesting if there are also e.g. system or planet specials which trigger this effect.

So you would base your build your ships factoring in the specials (e.g. on a choke point you want to push through), but if a field occurs you could use that enhancement in it.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#26 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:57 am
LienRag wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:44 pm I wonder if having another field that adds one to the Launch Bay capacity could be strategically interesting ?
No, on itself a field is too random for basing your ship designs on. It very maybe could be strategically interesting if there are also e.g. system or planet specials which trigger this effect.

So you would base your build your ships factoring in the specials (e.g. on a choke point you want to push through), but if a field occurs you could use that enhancement in it.
Planet specials that only affect the local system are still too restrictive. Maybe a policy or a building (that might require a special) that affects all supply or something like that.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#27 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:06 am

Planet specials that only affect the local system are still too restrictive. Maybe a policy or a building (that might require a special) that affects all supply or something like that.
Ophiuchus' reflection is interesting indeed and if I find an interesting way to make it work I'll try to implement it.
Your own reflection here seems to go completely to the opposite of the inital idea ? If it's on all Supply what is the point to have it also in the Field ?
Not that I'm opposed to general new Military Policies, but what would be the relation with the field ?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#28 Post by LienRag »

One thing I found (empirically, I wouldn't know how to measure it) in experimenting with new fields is that while I wanted to have more diversity of fields in the Galaxy, what happened (again, to my best knowledge) is that there were more fields in total.
Which means that most of the Galaxy was covered by Fields, and that was not at all my objective.

Is there a way to prevent that ?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#29 Post by Ophiuchus »

LienRag wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:39 pmIs there a way to prevent that ?
Lower the probability of the fields occuring
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#30 Post by Ophiuchus »

LienRag wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:36 pm
Oberlus wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:06 am

Your own reflection here seems to go completely to the opposite of the inital idea ? If it's on all Supply what is the point to have it also in the Field ?
Not that I'm opposed to general new Military Policies, but what would be the relation with the field ?
Also think supply&field or policy&field do not fit too well. If specials are too rare, how about a certain planet or star type(s)? I guess a military policy could maybe extend that usability to extra types(?)