save fleet pattern & auto-rebuild fleet

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

jinlanid
Space Squid

save fleet pattern & auto-rebuild fleet

#1 Post by jinlanid »

Say, you have a fleet that has 1 scout, 1 outpost. You can then save the pattern, if the scout or outpost is destroyed, click "rebuild" will auto-rebuild at nearest possible planet and send it to your fleet.

optional:
Specify a fleet to be "reserve fleet", if a ship from "reserve fleet" can reach your fleet faster than build a new one, send that ship instead of build a new one.

alleryn
Space Dragon

Re: save fleet pattern & auto-rebuild fleet

#2 Post by alleryn »

I'm not entirely sure in what circumstances one would find this useful.

I guess, personally, i would be more interested in something like
  • right click an unowned planet
  • select Colony or Outpost
  • have nearest (but this is difficult as pathing currently tends to not attempt to avoid monsters, afaik) shipyard build colony/outpost ship (but then there are difficulties with which hull are we using) and send it
  • if that ship is destroyed build a new one
I'm not sure this is really related, but i can't really see wanting to rebuild a destroyed scout with any regularity. It's too cirmcumstantial, imho.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#3 Post by Ophiuchus »

I think this "restocking" order for fleets be useful if fleets had more meaning than just a convenient way to order multiple ships active/passive and send them to a destination planet.

IMHO for current fleet model this does not buy much if anything. As formations/fleet patterns for battle currently means the biggest deathstack possible there is no need for fine-grained fleet control.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

jinlanid
Space Squid

#4 Post by jinlanid »

I usually have two type of fleets:
1: Carrier fleets. Fleets that have as more fighters as possible. For destroying enemy fleet.
2: Cannon fleets. Fleets that have more cannon ( laser, death ray ...... ) to destroy enemy planets' defense.
Tow kinds of fleets will be mixed before finally put into combat, depends on how many ships in enemy system, how many planets in enemy system, how strong defense enemy planets have.
So, for me, I need at least two kind of fleets.

And also, I need 1 support fleet in every "attack direction", containing 200 troop unit ( for landing ), 2 armed scout( for securing support line ).

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#5 Post by Ophiuchus »

While I am not completely convinced about the fleet patterns having something like a "catch up to a fleet" command would be nicer than "go to that planet" especially for recurring build tasks.

Then if we have that, a "build ships for this fleet" as a fleet order makes definitly sense. Would need UI though. Either a list/highlights on the map for system with shipyard (and what kind of shipyards).
Or a build ships dialogue where you first specify the ships (?and species?) and you choose (or the game autochooses) the shipyard planets.

Fleet patterns could be a simple way to specify which ship designs you want to build. If fleet patterns exist as object one would probably need to update that fleet patterns often (when you do new ship designs). Implicit fleet patterns would make more sense to me: add 10 more of this design.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!