Player Missions

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

Player Missions

#1 Post by utilae »

We should have an option like in Risk to give each player a mission that they have to carry out in order to win.
eg
-Conquer 3 races.
-Sustain peace between 2 races for 60 minutes.
-Protect the race with lowest tech.
-Protect your neighbour.
-Colonise 100 worlds.
-Capture 75 enemy worlds.
-Kill the most distant enemy.
-Sustain an alliance with 5 players for 30 minutes.
-Research 80% of the tech tree.
-Steal 50 enemy technologies.
-Find 5 'special' artifacts hidden on planets throughout the galaxy.

Dreamer
Dyson Forest

#2 Post by Dreamer »

I think this is better adressed by victory conditions, so each player actually chooses his path or a combination of them. Nevertheless, more diversity on these conditions is always good.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by utilae »

It is a victory condition thing. Basically you would choose the 'mission' style victory condition. Each player would be given a random mission. No player would no the others mission. The player who completes their mission wins.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#4 Post by Zanzibar »

Isn't this kinda how cosmic encounter works?

Pasi
Space Squid

#5 Post by Pasi »

utilae wrote:It is a victory condition thing. Basically you would choose the 'mission' style victory condition. Each player would be given a random mission. No player would no the others mission. The player who completes their mission wins.
Might be hard to balance them IMHO
I'm not a programmer... but I play one at Microsoft!

Rob
Space Floater

#6 Post by Rob »

Pasi wrote:
utilae wrote:It is a victory condition thing. Basically you would choose the 'mission' style victory condition. Each player would be given a random mission. No player would no the others mission. The player who completes their mission wins.
Might be hard to balance them IMHO
Yes... I remember risk.
If your Task as "Colour X" is to conquer Europe and South America, and your neigbours tasks are:

-Player One: Flaten "Colour X"
-Player Two: Conquer Europe and Y
-Player Three: Conquer South America and Z

You will have no chance...
All neigbours are your Natural enemy. In 70% of the games Player One will win. No Strategic skills needed, pure game of chance with the tasks.
Wer die Welt gezielt verändern will, muss sie zuerst einmal verstehen!
One of your german brothers: http://www.fatal-universe.de

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by utilae »

Even if missions are difficult to achieve, at least it will probably be more challening then fighting the hardest AI level.

Edna Lynx
Space Krill

Missions and Winning Conditions

#8 Post by Edna Lynx »

Hi,

In my opinion the game should not be "won". The game should never end.

I think there should be many "victory conditions" that would orient players in a certain path. And once it is achieved, a special event like a video of something is triggered. However, players should be free to continue playing looking for acomplishing other objectives.

In multiplayer games, once a player has achieved a "victory condition", the opposition should continue battling to take him out of that.

Example given, in a 4 player-game, once a player achieve the Emperor status by conquering X% of the galaxy, the other players should stick together to counter that power.

Well... that's it, in my opinion.

Kisses and regards,

Edna

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by utilae »

There could be an option that prevents a victory from ending the game. For the mission victory conditions, it would make it so that if a player achieves a victory condition (conquer X% of galaxy) the other players could gang together and take that guy down. However, in a mission based victory condition, I am not sure that the mission victories will have much signifigance if a victory does not mean ending the game.

Carbon Copy Man
Space Squid

#10 Post by Carbon Copy Man »

I've always kind of felt that the only real "victory condition" is complete and utter control of the galaxy. Until then, other nations always have the potential to fight back.

In MoO2, I always felt like killing the Antarans was a cheap way to win, though that was mostly because the computer players weren't able to beat them.

I think that a reward system is the best way to manage it. For example, the reward for acquiring the coveted "Orion" system is being able to use it to your advantage.

As far as objectives such as "Sustain peace between 2 races for 60 minutes", perhaps such objectives could be controlled by social/racial models and generated somewhat randomly? Perhaps it could be tied to controlling/reducing civil unrest.

And where rewards don't work, I think that a well-tweaked scoring system would help to push people in the right direction.