Reviewing the current Imperial Stockpile mechanics

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Reviewing the current Imperial Stockpile mechanics

#31 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:56 am I forgot: regarding IS supply exploit, I think it is not about armed ships but troopers (that are cheaper and faster to produce), because once you get a strong enough (and fast) fleet behind enemy lines, you can keep conquering planets with troop reinforcements from recently conquered planets disconnected from supply. That's way faster than building stargates, and does not rely on defending the stargate.
Fair enough mid game a (basic hull) trooper is about 5PP and a reasonable invasion force is about 20 troopers(?).
So 100PP lets say every 5 turns --> 20 PP extraction limit.

So with two techs lets say 5 extraction for 1 industry, 10 extraction for 5 industry, 20 extraction for 20 industry?

Hm that does seem to preclude colonizers. Is invasion too cheap compared to colonisation?

Could you make a suggestion with numbers for focus-based stockpile increase?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Reviewing the current Imperial Stockpile mechanics

#32 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:22 pmCould you make a suggestion with numbers for focus-based stockpile increase?
I'll try. But don't get surprised if they are very similar to what I proposed before.

In my current single-player game (turn 300, 45 colonies, 1k PPs, 550 RPs, no black whole generator yet), stomping, my 16-troop robos cost 80x2 PPs (considers fleet upkeep). Allowing 80 troops (5 of those ships) every 2 turns (400 PPs per turn) seems legit if to get it you require something like 33% of your industry planets set to stockpile (some -300 PPs per turn in exchange of +300 stockpile capacity). The key would be, I guess, to find the correct balance between sacrificed PPs and gained stockpile. I have the impression 1:1 could be good, but no idea really until I test it. We could go 1:2 for starters, if you think that's more reasonable.