Unity Pods and Goody Huts

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#16 Post by Geoff the Medio »

yaromir wrote:When you encounter Lvl 1 you get an option to research Lvl 1 sentinels. Once you have that, you can open all Lvl 1's. Same for Lvl 2. Lvl 3 sentinels would require individual research.
But why? What's the advantage in doing this research? It's not really an interesting choice (yet)... Would doing this research be particularly fun?

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#17 Post by utilae »

It's like researching a key that will open all level 1 locks, rather than researching the key each time a level 1 lock is found. The risks of course are that you research this key and never find a lock.

But I think it is simpler to just research to open the goody box, when you find it, since you won't be finding them that often and it is all contained in finding the goody box and you don't have to find it in the techtree.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#18 Post by Impaler »

Why is everyone asuming these things are going to be rare?? We have had one or two people speculate to that effect but I personaly dont agree (the whole premise is based on the Civ model inwhitch these things are common). As far as reseraching goes I would not want to see anything more complex then a single Tec that is used to open ALL sentinels, it would be part of the normal tec tree most likly under the Knowlage catagory (Translinguistic Thought??). The interesting part will be desiding between exploration or internal development. If your going for lots of exploration or your finding an unusualy high number of Sentinels you will probably be able to justify the costs.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Pasi
Space Squid

#19 Post by Pasi »

the Pods could contain just generic "Alien tech" and by researching it, you could have small (or huge) leaps in tech research...

Then they would give you nothing you couldn't get other ways (?)
I'm not a programmer... but I play one at Microsoft!

Pasi
Space Squid

#20 Post by Pasi »

Or maybe even an option to the content like:

1. Take it apart (loose the artifact but gain in research)
2. Learn to use it (if it's an alien ship, you get it under control etc...)
I'm not a programmer... but I play one at Microsoft!

yaromir
Space Kraken

#21 Post by yaromir »

But why? What's the advantage in doing this research?
Antici...............................................................pation

Nevermind, if most want a boat-load of these things and are against layered categories it's a moot point.

If they are going to occur on 50% and always be of the same 'quality' than yeah, one tech to open all.
Staying awake and aware is perhaps the hardest thing to do.

skdiw
Creative Contributor

#22 Post by skdiw »

are rare resources in this game? i was thinking when you discover or explore a system, you may some automatic bonus from these huts. I don't support researching a specific tech to gain benefit from huts. i think even one tech is complicated and unnecessary if 95% of the time the player is going to research that tech in the very beginning. Standard openinings should be set as default and the game should really start when players start to make choices that really matter.

i like if techs down the tech tree allow the player to reap more benefit from huts or rare resources as an additional effect. For example, discoving rare X-343 ore hut gives your civilization a small cash bonus. If you have "deep-mining" tech, the hut adds +10% minerals to that planet in addition to normal +1 mineral meter. If your mining infrastructure on that planet is above 20, you got some other bonus. If you posses "Trading Co." wonder, you get another bonus.
:mrgreen:

trioted
Space Krill

#23 Post by trioted »

check the sectors thread

Argus
Space Floater

#24 Post by Argus »

Howdy,
I know that this idea is covered in some degree in another thread but that's really a different topic so I'll post here.

I was thinking that maybe some of these huts (or whatever) can't be seen until you've researched a certain level in some tech (I was thinking sensors) and then they become visible to you. In this way one player with lesser tech might be sitting on a hut and not even know it. Then all of a sudden another player starts attacking that planet which to him might appear nearly useless as planets go.

I also had the idea that some of these huts might automatically be opened. An explanation of this would be how it was discovered. Some child found it washed ashore and opened it. Don't really care. But I think that bad outcomes like unleashing a space monster should require a conscious decision by the player.

Others might only be opened at a certain year and in fact might open on that year even if previously undetected.

Perhaps the discovery might be soo great that the news of it couldn't be contained and news of it gets reported to all the players in the game along with where it was discovered. This would give that planet another strategic variable since everyone would know about it and it's benefits!

Argus

Edit: Oops forgot. I think that the server would determine the content of a goody hut just before the round you find out you've found one so it would know what it is so you could tell the player the moment the player opens it what he's got. It's just that the effects of it don't come into play till the next round.