Suggestion: Build unavailable buildings

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

zarquan
Space Floater

Suggestion: Build unavailable buildings

#1 Post by zarquan »

When I am terraforming a planet, I would like to be able to order a Gia Transformation at the same time. These things are allowed in the queue (for example, if the population dies out and a new race is put in), but we are not allowed to add them. This leads to me having to go through all my systems multiple times in a game, which can get a bit tedious if it a large map late in the game. This would also be useful when making a planet ready to build starships. My thinking is that this could be like how research is done. By selecting an unavailable building, it queues up the needed buildings to create it.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Suggestion: Build unavailable buildings

#2 Post by MatGB »

You can order buildings by right clicking on the Objects menu, I filter by my empire owned planets, have a column for Environment and sort by that, every so often I select all the "Good" planets and queue Gaia, as you can't double queue it or queue it at a gaia world this gives you a subset and works well. I do similar for terraforming but that requires more attention as you can over-queue that building at the moment.

We do, perpetually, discuss different ways to work terraforming, including focus settings and similar, but no one has yet come up with an idea for doing it that inspires someone to write the scripts, I don't like the current building method but nothing else seems to be better.

For shipyards you can now (hopefully) queue all the buildings needed once the basic shipyard is complete, so queue a drydock you can then also queue a nanorobotic facility, an orbital incubator allows a cellular chamber, etc. It's possible I missed some though and while it's not what you want it is a different solution that works fairly well.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

zarquan
Space Floater

Re: Suggestion: Build unavailable buildings

#3 Post by zarquan »

Thank you for your response. I understand that is it difficult to find a reasonable way to handle production queues.