Honeycomb special creates systems with stars but no planets

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Honeycomb special creates systems with stars but no plan

#16 Post by MatGB »

OK, weird edge case timing issue.

I just spent ten minutes trying to work out how the asteroid belt my scout had discovered had a kraken nest, which can't be created on belts. Then I noticed it had a planet name and the logs show it started as a gas giant.

Theoretically the honeycomb doesn't destroy planets with a special, but it appears the kraken effect to create nests clashes with the destruction effect.

I'm assuming that setting a priority for each should sort it, but we know from things like Sitreps that that doesn't always prevent clashes, and testing it will be a massive pain without changing the honeycomb spawn limit as it's a post game start effect so using the same key doesn't guarantee the same results even with no other changes.

I'm, in theory, testing some other stuff to tidy up my remaining to-do before release, if anyone (Sloth?) fancies trying to fix this that'd be good, it's an edge case but I don't like kraken nests on asteroid belts happening so it'd be good to fix it. 9 AIs with these settings is what gave me this result.
Attachments
kraken-honeycomb.png
kraken-honeycomb.png (402.46 KiB) Viewed 819 times
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#17 Post by Vezzra »

Mat, an issue on github with a link to your post would be good, so it doesn't get buried (and forgotten) here.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#18 Post by Sloth »

MatGB wrote:I'm, in theory, testing some other stuff to tidy up my remaining to-do before release, if anyone (Sloth?) fancies trying to fix this that'd be good, it's an edge case but I don't like kraken nests on asteroid belts happening so it'd be good to fix it. 9 AIs with these settings is what gave me this result.
I will try to fix this.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#19 Post by Sloth »

MatGB wrote:I'm assuming that setting a priority for each should sort it, but we know from things like Sitreps that that doesn't always prevent clashes, and testing it will be a massive pain without changing the honeycomb spawn limit as it's a post game start effect so using the same key doesn't guarantee the same results even with no other changes.
I'm set up for proper testing.

First insight: Changing the priority doesn't solve the problem.
The scope is evaluated before all effects take place regardless of priority.

Will think about some other options.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#20 Post by Sloth »

I fixed the problem by assigning a stackinggroup to these effects, so once the Honeycomb has affected a Gas Giant the Kraken Nest effect will no longer apply. PR: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/802

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#21 Post by MatGB »

See, that's why I get you to do scripting stuff. Stackinggroup, such an obvious answer, cool.

I've retested it on my seed, it appears to have not caused the problem but it's not going to be an easy one to be sure of, it should work so we're good for now.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#22 Post by Sloth »

MatGB wrote:I've retested it on my seed, it appears to have not caused the problem but it's not going to be an easy one to be sure of, it should work so we're good for now.
To test it, i've changed the Honeycomb to affect ALL planets and let the Krakens spawn more Nests than planets in the galaxy. That way i could see that the priorities of the effects now determine the outcome. The Honeycomb with late priority left all Gas Giants alone (because they had Kraken Nests), early priority resulted in no Gas Giants and no Nests.