Timed games - automatic end turn

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Timed games - automatic end turn

#16 Post by Oberlus »

Daybreak wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:32 pm I would easily get together with friends for a 5 minute turns game, during the day, and either saving the game for resuming later or no logins during the night to allow sleep, and serious gamers would do that as well.
And in that game mode, the problem would be that some orders issued at -10 seconds are lost, but it wouldn't be a problem that someone needs more than 5 minutes in a turn (play faster!).

Daybreak wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:32 pm Thinksome already proved that people will do it with his 3 minute game search.php?keywords=3+minutes&terms=all ... mit=Search
Exactly what I am saying from the start:
- If all the players hit turn before deadline, no need for deadline.
- If when a player can't meet deadline game is saved, no need for deadline.

But OK.

PS: that "fastturn" game ThinkSome mentions was without timer (because that's what makes sense and allows a more comfortable experience).

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#17 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:06 pm
Ophiuchus wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:44 pm
Oberlus wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:15 pm In fast games, there is no need for a timer.
depends on the crew i guess, sometimes people wish the others would press the button sooner; one can enforce that with a timer
My experience is that's the same as telling them "don't play with me".
And then, once the slow-turners are out of the game, there is no need for a timer...
i never did that online, but in RL gaming, we sometimes used a timer if somebody consistently delayed everybody. that was not a 'dont play with me'. the delayer also agreed that it made sense to impose a time restriction/had to change his playing style. so i think some players might find this useful.
anyway, i think this is pretty niche.

getting feedback on which commands registered on he server i think is useful.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#18 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:51 pm i never did that online, but in RL gaming, we sometimes used a timer if somebody consistently delayed everybody. that was not a 'dont play with me'. the delayer also agreed that it made sense to impose a time restriction/had to change his playing style. so i think some players might find this useful.
Yes, IRL friends poke the slow one, nor problem. On line, I tried playing with ThinkSome and it was frustrating for me (the fast-turner) and also for him due to my complains and demands of faster turning. With a timer to my like (2 minutes tops), he just could not have played his turns the way he liked. Without the timer, having to wait 3-10 minutes between my last order and the next turn was so frustrating. We didn't play anymore.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#19 Post by Daybreak »

Oberlus wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:22 am And in that game mode, the problem would be that some orders issued at -10 seconds are lost, but it wouldn't be a problem that someone needs more than 5 minutes in a turn (play faster!).
Orders issued in last 10 seconds nearly never make it to the server anyway
Oberlus wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:22 am - If all the players hit turn before deadline, no need for deadline.
- If when a player can't meet deadline game is saved, no need for deadline.
I am not too sure why there is opposition to this suggestion.

Only Lienrag, and myself were playing the 5 minute test games, and I can tell you, this would have saved both of us a lot of extra work. When you are doing something specific, that 5 mins or the time left when you thought of something, just flies by, and you forget, until it all just dissapears from in front of you.

Looking forward, the advantages are,
a) There will be more 5 minute test games and this will help.
b) If someone just loses a sense of time, this will save all their work.
c) If someone does some work, but gets called away or distracted by something else, this will save their work.
c) if someone loses internet connection, it doesn't hold up the whole game.
d) if someone just gets the shits and says stuff you, and does not login, it will not affect the game.

vs

Disadvantages
1) someone cant put in an order in the last 10 seconds

What am I missing?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#20 Post by Oberlus »

Daybreak wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:56 pm Orders issued in last 10 seconds nearly never make it to the server anyway
I would solve that increasing the timer, so that players have more time to play. Or showing less time than available in the timer, so that players don't try to play when their orders would be lost.
Daybreak wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:56 pm I am not too sure why there is opposition to this suggestion.
My position is more like "this is not a problem that needs a programatic solution".

Plus, as o01eg said already, clients do sent orders to server even when player does not press turn. Problem is when orders are sent too close to deadline and server don't process them: get more time, or don't let the orders be issued (it's too late). No need to make the server save orders faster if it probably can't anyways.

c) If someone does some work, but gets called away or distracted by something else, this will save their work.
d) if someone just gets the shits and says stuff you, and does not login, it will not affect the game.
All those are already covered by how the server works: if the order is issued not at -10 seconds from deadline, order is saved, if not, get more time or get over the idea you lost one turn because you tried to send an order in the very last moment.

The only one that is not covered is the 5 minutes test games. You want to optimize the experience of playing a game mode that no one else will play. Be my guest, but I think it's a waste of time.

In any case: I am not opposed to solve what you ask for here, if you can do it, go for it. Any improvement to the game is great even if it is a very small niche case.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#21 Post by Daybreak »

Oberlus wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:43 am
Daybreak wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:56 pm Orders issued in last 10 seconds nearly never make it to the server anyway
I would solve that increasing the timer, so that players have more time to play. Or showing less time than available in the timer, so that players don't try to play when their orders would be lost.
Daybreak wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:56 pm I am not too sure why there is opposition to this suggestion.
My position is more like "this is not a problem that needs a programatic solution".

Plus, as o01eg said already, clients do sent orders to server even when player does not press turn. Problem is when orders are sent too close to deadline and server don't process them: get more time, or don't let the orders be issued (it's too late). No need to make the server save orders faster if it probably can't anyways.

All those are already covered by how the server works: if the order is issued not at -10 seconds from deadline, order is saved, if not, get more time or get over the idea you lost one turn because you tried to send an order in the very last moment.

The only one that is not covered is the 5 minutes test games. You want to optimize the experience of playing a game mode that no one else will play. Be my guest, but I think it's a waste of time.

In any case: I am not opposed to solve what you ask for here, if you can do it, go for it. Any improvement to the game is great even if it is a very small niche case.
No you are missing the point- you can lose 10 orders made, or 20 items added to tech tree, epecially if you insert items further below.
Oberlus wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:43 am Plus, as o01eg said already, clients do sent orders to server even when player does not press turn. Problem is when orders are sent too close to deadline and server don't process them: get more time, or don't let the orders be issued (it's too late). No need to make the server save orders faster if it probably can't anyways.
But only if you go to another page.

You can lose up to 2 minutes of activity if you dont change pages or press the button. Its not that last order I am talking about.

Anyway enough said - devs can decide

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#22 Post by Oberlus »

Daybreak wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:56 am You can lose up to 2 minutes of activity if you dont change pages or press the button. Its not that last order I am talking about.
Woah! I didn't know that.
All my discourse was about trying to not lose orders sent at the very end of the timer.