v0.4 Roadmap

This is for directed discussions on immediate questions of game design. Only moderators can create new threads.
General_Zaber
Space Kraken

Re: v0.4 Roadmap

#31 Post by General_Zaber »

I know its not really my postion to ask. But I would like to know which features have already been coded into the codebase of v0.4. I'm not asking for a forecast nor am I trying to convince anyone to speed up, I understand FO is being coded pretty much from scratch so I know it may still be a long while before 0.4 comes around. But I would like to know which aspects of the roadmap have actually been implemented into the game.

Specifically, if it has been coded already (which I'm assuming it hasn't as this is the hardest part from my perspective) how does the Battle System work? Ie, How long is the average battle turn if there are, say 1 capital ship and 3 frigates on each of two sides? etc. (I'd prefer details but I'd be happy with at least a reply)

I hope this isn't too nosy of me, I just want an idea of how v0.4 is going to run (The roadmap doesn't go into these details) Also, I'm not expecting an instant reply, neither am I expecting all of the developers to give me an answer, I just want a benchmark to mold ideas to.
The enemy is retreating! As always, there is no cuteness about them. Dammit

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: v0.4 Roadmap

#32 Post by Geoff the Medio »

General_Zaber wrote:I know its not really my postion to ask. But I would like to know which features have already been coded into the codebase of v0.4.
The latest release, v0.3.8, is nearly up-to-date. Ship parts and hulls can be defined in text files, and added to designs in the GUI, and then those designs can be built if all the parts are available, though various details of this still need to be implemented. The design GUI is progressing, and can be seen in some recent screenshots I posted. Drag and dropping parts into slots basically functions, but can't actually be used to do designing yet. The initial test droplists do still work, though. The actual battle engine isn't very far along yet. Prep work is ongoing. If we had enough done to atually have battles of a few ships, you'd have seen posts about it by now.

Note that you can follow development progress by watching the SVN commit logs on sourceforge.