Refining the Imperial Stockpile

This is for directed discussions on immediate questions of game design. Only moderators can create new threads.
LGM-Doyle
Programmer

Re: Refining the Imperial Stockpile

#76 Post by LGM-Doyle »

Oberlus, The Git/GitHub Questions, Answers and Howto Thread is our thread for freeorion github related information and questions. If you post some questions with a description of your problem, then we might be able to help you be more efficient with your time. Once you have learned how, it is difficult to compare how much easier it is to pull merge, or cherry pick branches/commits that your are interested in testing, v.s. cut and paste by hand.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#77 Post by Dilvish »

Oberlus, getting other people's github pull requests onto your local can be a bit of a nuisance-- my favorite git GUI (Smartgit) saves that feature for its paying customers rather than the free version I use. There are still a couple fairly straightforward ways to do it, one of them I describe in a post in that thread LGM-Doyle just pointed you to.

Another way, purely via any git GUI, is to add the PR submitter's freeorion fork as another remote in your local freeorion git setup, and then from the top of the PR note which of their branches they used for the PR, and then just check out that branch from their fork.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#78 Post by Geoff the Medio »

At least for me, when logged into GitHub, there are command line instructions that can be used to check out a pull request's branch.
Attachments
When logged in, command-line commands to check out a pull request.
When logged in, command-line commands to check out a pull request.
github_get_pr_changes_command_line.png (40.75 KiB) Viewed 7318 times

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#79 Post by Oberlus »

Thank you all. This saved me a lot of time reading tutorials and StackExchange questions and answers.
Geoff the Medio wrote:At least for me, when logged into GitHub, there are command line instructions that can be used to check out a pull request's branch.
I can't see those buttons with command line instructions (I see instead "Only those with write access to this repository can merge pull requests.", and that's more than fine, I having write access would a crass mistake). That screenshot did it all for me, Geoff. Now I've got Dilvish-fo:this_ai_is_sly merged into my master. Cool.