Translation to other languages?

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Getix
Space Floater

Translation to other languages?

#1 Post by Getix »

Will FO Project be translated in other languages or it will be only in english?
Getix "The Cromist", (20, 90, Italy, MI)
FIAT CROMA CHT (called Laura) Acrobatic Driver - 32,5 kKm/243 KKm
"A Croma is Forever"

noelte
Juggernaut

#2 Post by noelte »

german is already in. I guess every not to exotic (chinese, japanese) language could be supported.
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

Bastian-Bux
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by Bastian-Bux »

It all depends on translators. German as noelte said is already guaranteed. The same should be true for swedish (if they even bother).

For the romanic languages we just have to find people that are able to translate from english properly. :twisted:
Wenn du die Macht hättest die Geschichte zu ändern, wo würdest du anfangen. Und viel wichtiger, wo aufhören?

If you had the power to change history, where would you start? And more importantly, where would you stop?

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by pd »

I guess every not to exotic (chinese, japanese) language could be supported.
just curious, what is the problem with those languages? the characters are just a different font... at last we would only need a chinese and/or japanese forum member, who is willing to translate the stringtables.

admittedly, it would need much more effort to translate the entire encyclopedia or story(campaign) stuff, once we have something like this.

noelte
Juggernaut

#5 Post by noelte »

pd wrote: just curious, what is the problem with those languages? the characters are just a different font... at last we would only need a chinese and/or japanese forum member, who is willing to translate the stringtables.
hmm, you are right, i was thinking about the letters. But is there a font which can handle the >5000 symbols of chinese? BTW, i think we are still using ansi, maybe we have to switch to unicode?!

BTW: what's about planet rotation? 8)
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

Bastian-Bux
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by Bastian-Bux »

Well, the mayor problem of those exotic languages is font size.

The "european languages" shouldn't be to problematic. German is one of the languages that uses most space for simple sentences. So if the text boxes are big enough for german, then any european language should fit.

But sign languages might use more space, especially as they tend to need a higher font size to be readable. On the other hand one sign can include a full part of the sentence in the same way a german word can wrap a whole english description.

So it depends on the skills of the people that do the localization.
Wenn du die Macht hättest die Geschichte zu ändern, wo würdest du anfangen. Und viel wichtiger, wo aufhören?

If you had the power to change history, where would you start? And more importantly, where would you stop?

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

#7 Post by Moriarty »

Incidentally, what lanaguage is it going to be in anyway (the default release)?

English or American? Yes a serious question! :)

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Moriarty wrote:English or American? Yes a serious question! :)
I asked Tyreth roughly the same question...
Tyreth wrote:Hi,

There's no official statement on which is official. I myself am Australian, so feel more comfortable with British English. Localisation as you say is possible, once we close towards 1.0 we can specify which.

Strings are kept in separate files for languages, so the only other location is in the actual code - which is not an issue.

Getix
Space Floater

#9 Post by Getix »

Bastian-Bux wrote:It all depends on translators. German as noelte said is already guaranteed. The same should be true for swedish (if they even bother).

For the romanic languages we just have to find people that are able to translate from english properly. :twisted:
Well, here I am :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Getix "The Cromist", (20, 90, Italy, MI)
FIAT CROMA CHT (called Laura) Acrobatic Driver - 32,5 kKm/243 KKm
"A Croma is Forever"

Sandlapper
Dyson Forest

#10 Post by Sandlapper »

LOL, bear in mind "American" english is regional - Southern or Yankee, east coast-west coast. Also don't forget "Native" Americans - Eastern Sioux- Western Sioux- Iroqois - Utes - Mississipi valley mound builders- Etc. And don't forget the Hawaii and Eskimo native langauges! :D :D :D

Bastian-Bux
Creative Contributor

#11 Post by Bastian-Bux »

@Sandlapper: or to put it bluntly: american english is nothing more then a collection of bastardisized english dialects ^^.

Whats next? Translation into Saxonian (Saxonia, a state of germany. Also the name of a small thievish mountain tribe, which says about themselve: "we can everything, except proper german". One part of that sentence is true, the other is the opposite). :twisted:

drek
Designer Emeritus

#12 Post by drek »

LOL, bear in mind "American" english is regional - Southern or Yankee, east coast-west coast.
But written words are spelled the same, regardless of regional accents. afiak, American english was actually standardized before English english.

Serious question:

When writing up stringtable stuffs for techs, etc, should we be using english or american spellings?

Thought: We could have a perl script (or the like) go through and swap out spellings if it's terribly important to have a different stringtable for English 1.0 and (the superior American :P) English 2.0.

Bastian-Bux
Creative Contributor

#13 Post by Bastian-Bux »

Make BE is standard, cause most people still learn civilized english. Afaik only those countries that can't pay proper teacher hire american college kids to teach AE.

:twisted:

PS: for all that feel insulted by the above: just stop reading it. Believe me, we got much more dialects in Germany then you can muster in the whole Commonwealth AND the USA together. So excuse me for adapting a famous german sport (making silly jokes about people speaking dialects) to a global scale ^^.

Blade Runner
Space Squid

#14 Post by Blade Runner »

Bastian-Bux wrote: The "european languages" shouldn't be to problematic. German is one of the languages that uses most space for simple sentences. So if the text boxes are big enough for german, then any european language should fit.
I have to disagree a bit. German sentences are quite long, but Hungarian sntences are usually longer. :D
I am a native Hungarian, so I can do the translation. If the Hungarian text will fit, I think the rest of the European languages will fit (included German).
Just a few example:
csillag rendszer = star system
csillag = star
idegen lények = aliens
etc. :)
(There are a few short words obviously, like:
bolygó = planet
gép = machine
hajó = ship)
-------------------------------------------
Te vagy a Blade Runner. :)

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#15 Post by Aquitaine »

Sandlapper wrote:LOL, bear in mind "American" english is regional - Southern or Yankee, east coast-west coast. Also don't forget "Native" Americans - Eastern Sioux- Western Sioux- Iroqois - Utes - Mississipi valley mound builders- Etc. And don't forget the Hawaii and Eskimo native langauges! :D :D :D
As Drek pointed out, American written english is not regional (at least, it is not supposed to be).

I suspect that the simplest choice here is to take the practical route and use the flavor of English employed by the majority of the content creators. I can write UK-style if necessary, but to the best of my knowledge, most of the design team uses American English. I don't really care though. :)
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!