FO Website-Where's the Beef?

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Zeno
Space Floater

FO Website-Where's the Beef?

#1 Post by Zeno »

:?: I have looked all over and can't find the design document, or info about FreeOrion's storyline. I found "passed features," which doesn't tell me much about features nearly ready to be passed, the FO storyline (Is there one yet?), or where FO is "coming from." It would be very helpful if there was a detailed "About FreeOrion" page, (not just a simple statement about a 4x game) to be accessed by just pushing a button on the homepage. The design document could either be included on that page, or accessed by a butten there. This would cut way down on new users "reinventing the wheel," which results in the rehashing of old things, ad nauseum. Please forgive me if this problem is already being resolved. I eagerly look forward to FreeOrion's future progress :D

Xardas
Space Kraken

#2 Post by Xardas »

I agree with you, there should be more content on the site:

here is the design document :

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=76257

and here the backstory:

http://freeorion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=164

Zeno
Space Floater

P.S. Found Backstory

#3 Post by Zeno »

P.S. I've found the storyline in Game Design, Story, Backstory Forum.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by Tyreth »

More will be added to the website as time goes on. The website is new, so there's not much here yet. We also have bandwidth limitations to consider, but for now that's not a problem. If though we begin hosting files and art, and find that our bandwidth is being consumed too much, then we'll have to look for donations to help pay for hosting, or else ways to reduce how much is used.

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

#5 Post by Moriarty »

What are the limitations?
For $10 per month, i have "unmetered bandwidth", and 250mb of hdd space (with the option to increase further for free).

Hangman
Space Krill

#6 Post by Hangman »

also some basic screencaps (even that the UI is still gonna have some heavy changes) and stuff would be nice to have on the main page (instead of lurking here on the forums). for those who random browse in to have a quick glance... if they don't find anything worth seeing in a minute, they browse off and might just never pop by again.
host them piccies on some volunteer's webspace and just link the elements to the main page.

i know i've turned away from many gamesites due they couldn't friggen provide me with even one screenshot without demanding a registeration and login. did it a couple times just last night, for example.

and the first thing i do when i find a new game site that i might be interested of is not to go check out their forums.

takes maybe fifteen minutes to get some basic content up and running.
jesus saves, passes to moses, he shoots... score!

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#7 Post by Zanzibar »

Plenty of free screenshots in the graphics forum :p

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#8 Post by Tyreth »

I've added four screenshots to the art link from the main page. Enjoy!

drek
Designer Emeritus

#9 Post by drek »

Nice.

I haven't compiled a recent version--it's starting to look pretty sharp. PD's title screen is a big step up from the crappy v.1 screen and mui's planet view with obiwan's planet pics looks cool.

Moriarty
Dyson Forest

#10 Post by Moriarty »

tyreth: Again my question:
i.e. bandwidth and space?

Pertaining to images. SImple solution:

http://linpha.sourceforge.net/nuke/index.php

an online demo:
http://linpha.sourceforge.net/demo/linpha/

Something like that would be ideal for this. Give each graphics artist a Uname and login.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#11 Post by Tyreth »

Moriarty wrote:tyreth: Again my question:
i.e. bandwidth and space?
Currently we have 60Gig bandwidth a month and supposedly 2Gig disk space, but right now the control panel is saying unlimitted disk space. This is sufficient for now, but I might need help paying for a better account when our popularity rises. Last month we used just over 5Gig of bandwidth.

Moriarty
Dyson Forest

#12 Post by Moriarty »

Unless you're planning on being /. ed every day of the month, i suspect 60GB will be sufficient even with lots more active people.

look at this forum set:
http://www.tt-forums.net

They use about 35GB/month bandwidth and 1.5GB space.
ANd they have a HELL of a lot of attachments archieved (savegames and screenshots).

So i'd guess you should be fine for a while yet. :)

Incidentally, who's the host?

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#13 Post by Tyreth »

I'm glad that we have a long way before we start to consume our bandwidth. Currently we're using a bit less than 10% of our monthly limit, so plenty of room for growth.